His Successor

Lily looked into the room for a moment, her eyes concentrated with her brows furrowed.  It looked like she was debating something internally.  After a few long, awkward moments of us just standing outside the room, Lily turned to me.  Her eyes had a strange hollowness to them as she looked at me.  

"I understand what you mean.  Let's go," she agreed.  I nodded, and Vincent looked like he had no idea what to do about our interaction.  We continued walking and headed to the elevator.  Vincent and Lily were whispering behind me as I walked, and I ignored them.

(3rd POV) 

"Who the hell is she?" Lily hissed under her breath, gesturing towards Sparrow.  Vincent responded in the same hushed tone.  

"I don't know much either.  She introduced herself as Artemis Minerva, William Minerva's successor, whoever that is.  But one thing's for sure, she's strong."  

"What do you-"  The group passed a few dead demons in the hallway, and Lily's eyes widened in shock.  "How?" She just muttered the single word.

"I don't know.  But when she came to get me, she was alone.  So far I haven't seen anyone but her, but she said she was a successor so there's a chance she used her connections to manage this.  I've seen dozens of corpses between the time she came to get me and the time we got you of both humans and demons alike."  

"Holy shit, that's... wow."  

The two walked together in silence, and Lily thought about the situation.  

I never even thought escape would be possible.  But this is... 

Eventually, the group made it to the elevator, and Sparrow pushed a button.  After a few seconds, there was a metal platform rising, and when it leveled with the floor it stopped.  There was a dinging noise, and the elevator opened.  

Sparrow entered, and Lily and Vincent both shuffled after her.  When they were all in, Sparrow pressed a button with the number two on it.  

"Why aren't we going to the ground level?" Lily inquired.  Sparrow didn't turn over to her to respond, and the elevator started moving.  

"You two aren't the only ones with the ability to survive in the outside world in this facility," Sparrow responded curtly. Something about being in an enclosed space with the redhead made the air seem like it had dropped a few degrees and left her companions with light shivers.  After a few seconds, the door opened again, revealing a room similar to the one they had been in before, except there were armed demons.  

Vincent and Lily backed up in the elevator, getting into defensive positions with their eyes jotting around the room, but still keeping their attention on Sparrow.  Sparrow casually walked out of the elevator like she was just taking the elevator from an apartment complex to go to school.  Lily and Vincent fidgeted behind her nervously, not sure if they should stop her.  

The demons in the room noticed their presence because of the dead giveaway the elevator's dinging made.  They all immediately started running to the door where the trio was to capture them, spears at the ready.  Sparrow barely gave them a glance, and they started falling to the floor like dominos, one after the other.  

After a few moments, all the demons in the room were dead, lying on the ground limply.  Vincent and Lily stared blankly at Sparrow who was heading to that floor's north wing.     

They ran to her, and Lily was the first to point out the elephant in the room.  

"How in the absolute fuck did you do that?" She demanded, looking at Sparrow quizically.  Sparrow looked back at her, scanning Vincent's and Lily's faces.  They both looked a mixture of shocked, amazed, and fearful.