Chapter 26

Diamond's POV

"YOU RUINED LIVES!"

"ROT IN HELL!"

"SEND HER TO JAIL!"

People were screaming and yelling at me. Miriam pulled me along and I just tried to keep my head down. We got in the courthouse and I could still hear echoes of people screaming and yelling at me. It was horrible.

We walked into a room and she closed the door. "Alright. We're good now. We've got about an hour. You ready?"

I was too distracted by everyone outside to answer her question. "What was that?"

"A majority of them were just regular people. The rest were people that wanted pictures of you for the paper."

"I'm gonna be in the paper?"

"I'll get you a copy."

"Not what I meant." I said with a groan.

"Look, they're gone now. We'll be fine. This whole thing will be filmed for the entire world to see. It's gonna be on radios and televisions everywhere."

"That's not helping." I said nervously.

She wasn't sure what to say after that. But she just went over what we were gonna do and how it was gonna be done. I didn't have to say anything really. She was the lawyer so she was gonna be saying the majority of it all. But the hour couldn't have gone by any faster. I needed more time and I just didn't have it.

"Alright. That's the last minute stuff you need to remember. Got it?" I nodded. "Let's go."

I took my coat off before we left and we walked over to the courtroom.

We waited in this hallway and waited for the guard to let us officially go into the courtroom. We walked down and all eyes were on me. The guys, my dad, the guards, the judge, the cameras... they were all focused in on me. It was intimidating. I wasn't about to let it get to me though.

They did the usual things they did at the beginning of all court cases and I had to put my hand on a bible and swear to tell the truth.

"You may be seated." The judge said. I think her official court name is Judge Jen or something. My heart started racing. Miraim had a nervous look. That didn't make me feel any better. "Ms. Wells, please sit." The judge said to her.

Miriam sat down and I almost followed but the judge started speaking. "Are you Ms. Wells?"

"What?" I asked. "No." I said snarkily. Miriam gave me a nasty look. "I-Uh.. no, your honor."

"Do you prefer Alex Holtz or Diamond Ross?"

"Diamond Ross, your honor." I said not letting myself making a mistake.

"Ms. Wells please step back." The judge said. I looked back at her with a worried look as she stepped back with the guards. She didn't say anything but this is not how she said this would go.

"Ms. Ross, let's start with this. Did you kill anyone?"

"No, your honor." I said standing up straight.

"I object." Dad said standing up.

"Mr. Ross sit down." She said angrily.

"Ms. Ross, have you ordered a murder?"

"No, your honor."

"Do you have an objection now?" Judge Jen asked my dad.

"Yes. I faked my death when she was 16."

"I was 14." I said cutting him off and glaring at him.

"Silence. Go on Mr. Ross."

"Fine. I faked my death when she was 14 and turned 15 the next week. Every death that happened after that was under her control."

"Why did you fake your death! Where's mom?" I yelled.

Miriam looked at me with anger but the judge didn't say anything. By now, dad was standing at the other desk. "She died. I didn't. I pretended I did so I didn't have to deal with you and the other idiots in that house."

"I'M YOUR DAUGHTER! YOU LEFT ME TO DEAL WITH AN ILLEGAL GROUP BY MYSELF WHEN I WAS A KID?!" I yelled.

"SILENCE!" Judge Jen yelled. I tried to calm myself down. "What happened the day you supposedly died?" She asked.

"I was with my wife on our way home from Chicago. We had just picked up Ryder Hall and we wanted him to meet Diamond because she was going to marry him once she turned 18 so that there was someone to run the mafia. He's my witness for tonight that a semi-truck rammed into the side of our car and killed us both."

The judge gave him a dumb look. "Where is Ryder Hall?"

"Right here." He said motioning him to come up.

My mouth dropped right to the floor. I KNEW HE LOOKED FAMILIAR! HE BROKE INTO MY BATHROOM! FUCK!

"Do you have any response to this?" The judge asked testing him.

"He just lied so I don't really know how to respond to this. It didn't kill him obviously and any person who can see or hear knows that. The truck hit the side of the car and I was just told to tell Alex, uhh... Diamond, that he died. I'm sorry." He said looking over at me. "The plan was to get everyone against you and make them think you killed them cause you didn't want to get married when you turned 18 to some random guy."

"Diamond, are you ok?" The judge asked.

I was still in shock. "You're the one who snuck into my bathroom and scared the living daylights out of me." I almost swore and that would have gotten me into some real bad trouble.

The judge sighed. "I want to hear the entire story. Start to finish. As long as you can remember." She said.

"Yes, your honor."