Chapter 9

Dallas' POV

We were all barely in the house and I'm sure everyone noticed how awkward I was being. "It looks like you've seen a ghost." Johnny said to me.

"You all saw that girl, right?" They all nodded. "Don't let her back in this house." I said.

They all gave each other weird looks. "Why?" Steve finally asked.

I sighed. "Just- Just don't." I finally managed to get out.

"How do you know her?" Darry asked.

"She and I are from the same part of New York. 

Diamond's POV

I stopped and gasped. "FUCK!" I yelled. 

I quickly turned around and went back to that house. I hoped this was the right house. I opened the door and pushed the guys who just walked in out of the way. "Hi. Sorry to barge in, but I left something very important here." I said running into the bathroom. Everyone looked as me as I ran in the bathroom. 

I looked around the sink and I saw it almost falling in the drain. I sighed and put it back on my finger. I would have cried if I lost this. 

I walked out and sighed. "Sorry about that." I said with a grin. 

I started to walk out the door but someone stopped me. "Alex! Wait." I turned around. It was Soda. "So like, where are you from?" 

"Pardon?" I asked. 

"You said you just moved here, right? From where?" 

"New York. Ok. Bye." I said continuing to leave. 

"Wait!" Ponyboy said. 

"What?" I drawled.

"Why did you come down here?" 

I stopped him before he could continue. "Cheaptest thing for ten bucks that could get me the farthest." I continued to walk out. But I was stopped again. 

"Wait!" Darry said. 

"What could you possibly want?" I asked rudely. 

"Do you have a place to stay?" He asked. 

"No, but I will soon if you ever let me leave." I said with a fake grin. 

"So you mean to tell me that you came-" Soda started. 

I zoned out and I noticed a cracked mirror on the floor. There was something shining in the reflection. I looked closer and it looked so familiar. Wait... was that Dallas' skull ring? 

Dallas' POV

We were all about to scatter out and do our own thing but then the door flew open. WHY IS SHE BACK?

She ran into the bathroom and I hid around the corner. After she went in the bathroom, everyone looked over at me. "Don't let her see me." I whispered. 

"Why?" Johnny asked. 

"SHH!" I said. "Just distract her. Ok?" I asked. 

Darry, Soda, and Pony all asked her these random questions and she just wanted to get out of there and you could tell. I shouldn't have told them to distract her. I should have told them to get her out of here!

I was listening around the corner and I realized I dropped my ring. I looked at Johnny. "Grab that." I mouthed. 

"What?" He mouthed back. 

"The ring." I pointed to the ring. "Grab it." I said motioning to it. 

He gave me a look of confusion. I sighed. "Grab the ring before she sees it." I said. 

I pointed at my finger and then the floor. He looked around and he finally saw it. But before he could grab it, Diamond stepped on it and picked it up. 

Diamond's POV

That was definitely his ring. I think those glasses gave me super powers or something because I could clearly see it was the skull ring with a D and a W carved into it. 

"Hello?" Soda asked me. 

"Huh?" I asked zoning back into reality. I caught on. "Yeah. I did. I came down here. Stupid enough I did. Yeah, yeah I'm an idiot. Hang on." I said quickly. I turned around and I walked over to the ring. I stepped on it right before the tanned kid could grab it. I looked at it more clearly. "Who's is this?" I asked. 

The three looked at each other. They were at a loss for words. "Wait, weren't there just four of you?" I asked. 

"No. There's only seven of us in this house. Me, you, Steve, Johnny, Pony, Soda, and Darry." The one with a beer in this hand said.

I looked at them all. "No, there was definitely someone else. I saw four people as I walked out of the house the first time." I said. 

"You must be going crazy." The tanned kid said. 

I was gonna say something more towards what I was hinting at but I stopped. "Y'know what? You're right." I said. "But then where did this ring come from?" I asked trying to sound generally confused. 

They all looked at each other. "I-It's mine." The one behind me said. 

"It is?" I asked. He nodded. "What's your name?" I asked. 

"Two-Bit Mathews." He said. 

I raised an eyebrow. "Alright then. Where did you get the money for this?" 

"It's like two dollars." He said. 

I laughed. "A ring like this? Two dollars? This ring costs probably about 3 grand." I said. 

"3 GRAND?" They all asked. 

I nodded. "And, one more question, why is DW carved into it?" I asked. "It seems like someones initials but if it's yours, then it would be TM. And these are exclusively made in New York. But I mean, it's yours so. Answer my questions. Where did you get the money for it and why does DW stand for?" 

They were all silent. I looked around. "Ok. We can stop playing dumb now. I know this isn't yours." I said. 

They all looked around. They didn't have anything else to say. I heard the wood creak around the corner. I leaned over to the tanned kid. "Does that hallway go through the entire house?" I asked pointing. He nodded. 

I went around to the kitchen and I turned the corner leading to the hallway I saw in the living room. "Wow. What a surprise." I said with a grin. There he was. Right in front of me. Dallas Winston.