Chapter 28

Diamond's POV

I felt defeated. My heart sank as I sat down in the chair. I put my head in my hands and tried to hold back my tears. Miriam rubbed my back as I silently sobbed into my hands. I'm gonna be in prison for the rest of my life... I can't do this.

"But," The judge continued. "No penalty."

I sat their stiff. Dads grin faded. "No penalty?" He asked.

"Give back every single thing you've ever owned and you'll be bringing officers to where you stayed while you were apart of the mob."

I tried to stop crying as I spoke up. "Every single thing?" I asked.

"Yes."

"But my ring, my mom gave it to me. It's the last thing I have of her. I can't give it back."

"Then you have to pay it back. But until then, you can't leave the state of New York."

"What? I- That's not fair. She paid for it."

"With stolen money."

"But-"

"You're making things worse." Miriam said butting in.

"Good luck paying back all that money. That ring costs 45 thousand dollars." Dad said.

My eyes widened. I never realized how expensive this was. It was gonna be years before I paid this off. Maybe even decades! I don't have a job. A place to stay. Anything.

"We need a diamond tester to confirm it."

Apparently that's a thing people just happen to have on them because some guy came over and used it on my ring. "Where did this ring come from?" He asked.

"It's called Rings Galore I think. I'm not sure though."

"She is correct." Dad said.

"He's correct." He said.

I sighed. I can't give it back. I just can't."

"This court is adjourned." I walked out and back to the room. I'm also on probation for ten years but Miriam didn't tell me that until I got back to the room. It seemed obvious to me though. I sat there sobbing.

"You don't have to go to jail for the rest of your life. Why are you upset."

I stood up. "I don't want to live in New York. I'd rather just have them kill me. I don't even want to be alive anymore."

"You might not want to say that. There are still cameras behind you."

I turned around, rolled my eyes and tried to stay calm.

Don't lash out. Don't lash out. Don't lash out.

I do anything and I'm in jail. Just stay calm.

"You look angry."

"Well, I'm trying not to be." I said with a fake smile.

She whispered to me. "They'll go away eventually if we just sit and do nothing."

"Fine." I said with an eye roll. I sat in the chair and finally, they went away.

"So why do you wanna die? After all that?"

"Because I don't have anything. I've gotta start from scratch. My entire life, I've been spoiled rotten and now I've gotta work for myself, find a place to live, and make 45 thousand dollars for the ring. I just want to go back to Oklahoma. I found a place to stay and I found friends and they actually like me. I don't wanna live in New York where people hate me the most."

"I don't think they hate you as much as you think, Diamond."

"I disagree." I said pouting.

Dallas' POV

"Well... she's not in jail." Steve mumbled.

"She's not gonna be back for years! Maybe even decades!" I yelled.

"But she's not in jail." Steve said trying to change the vibe.

It wasn't working.

"Where does she think she's gonna get 45 grand from?" Darry asked.

"She isn't and I think she knows that. That's why she just said on the TV that she would have rather died." I said. I looked at the time. "I gotta get to work. See ya guys."

Diamond's POV

I left the courthouse and I had to sign a bunch of papers and legal actions and stuff. It was a lot of work but I was out of there by midnight. I was driven back to the police station and did more stuff there and then I had to drive them to the mansion out of town. I was driven back to the police station and I was alone in New York City at 3 in the morning.

Great.

I walked down the street looking for a place to stay and I was scared out of my mind. Heels don't exactly make things quieter. Nobody walks down the streets in an outfit like this. I felt useless. I grabbed a few quarters off the street and used the payphone and called Buck's place.

"Hello?" Buck asked.

"Can I talk to Dallas?" I asked unsure if he hated me or not. I assumed he did so I kept my name out of it.

"Who is this?"

So much for keeping my name out of it.

"Diamond Ross..." I mumbled.

He scoffed and hung up. DAMMIT!

Dallas' POV

"Who is this?" Buck asked.

Someone mumbled on the other side of the phone and he rolled his eyes and hung up.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Diamond."

"WHY DID YOU HANG UP ON HER?" I yelled.

"That psycho bitch is gonna ruin this business."

"Seriously, man?" I asked.

"Seriously." He repeated.

I ran upstairs and tried to remember the number for the New York phone lines. This better work.

Diamond's POV

I'm at a complete loss. I don't have any clue where to even start. The phone rang again and it scared me at first. I picked it up. "Hello?"

"Diamond?" It sounded like Dallas' voice.

"Dally?" I asked hoping it was.

"Where are you? Are you ok?"

"No. It's three in the fucking morning and I don't know what to do. I don't know where to start or what I'm supposed to be doing right now."

"What do you have with you?" He asked.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing except the clothes I'm wearing right now."

He cursed under his breath and sighed. "Listen to me. Go down to North Proctor. All the way down to the end of it. There's this apartment building. Go up to room 42B and a girl named Kaley lives there. She'll let you stay there. Tell her I sent you. Ok?"

"North Proctor? That's really far from here. Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Ok. And room 42B?"

"Yes."

I sighed. "Ok. I'm trusting you."

"You'll be fine, ok. But if you just gave them the diamond-"

I cut him off. "I can't." I said leaving it at that. I had more to say but I didn't have the strength to do so.

"Fine..." He mumbled.

"Goodnight, Dallas. I love you."

"Love you too. Stay safe."

"Alright." I said hanging up.

Easier said than done.