Chapter 2

Gunnar’s eyes opened to the light of day as it washed over him. His eyes focused on the ceiling of the cell. His neck and head hurt more than anything. Though his sight was foggy, he looked around the room from where he was laying. At first he didn’t see or hear anything. Suddenly, he heard a sniffeling sound and he turned to look behind him. Sitting up, his eyes focused on the girl that he had met earlier.

Huddled in the corner of the cell, Rose sat one leg out and the other knee brought up to her chest. Her right arm rested on her knee as her head rested against the wall. Tears were running down her cheeks, but she kept a straight face. She turned her head towards Gunnar and smiled.

“You’re awake.” She said in a happy voice. “I was wondering if you were going to sleep the day away.” She rested her head back on the wall and closed her eyes.

Gunnar saw dark bruises covering her body. He could see how she was trying to stay calm and collected, but her body shook and she jumped at the slightest sound. He began to stand up and stretch, but didn’t take his eyes off of her. Fresh blood stained her pants and shirt as the wound on her stomach looked like it had reopened, and blood had soaked her shirt. He didn’t know what to say. He looked like the kind of guy who would have done something like this to another person, but he just wouldn’t do it to a girl. A girl so young shouldn’t have to go through being forced into doing multiple men. He felt angry. He didn’t even know this girl, and he felt like all he wanted to do was comfort her, which was something way out of character for him. His stomach turned as he saw the tears.

Walking over to her, he leaned up against the wall and slid down it. He sat next to her looked forward. More tears ran down her face and she took in a shaking breath. Without realizing what he was doing, he brushed a finger over her cheek and wiped away a tear. She opened her eyes and turned to look at him. She saw how his mouth rested in a frown, and the scar on his face seemed to stretch as he rested. He looked her in the eyes and shook his head.

“I don’t like how you cry.” He said. “It makes me feel sick to my stomach.”  He leaned in and placed his lips on her forehead. Brushing back her hair, he held his lips against her soft skin. He then pulled her in and rested her head on his chest.

“Why did you join the military?” He asked in a low voice.

Rose sat staring at the floor for a few minutes. “I wanted my father to be proud of me.” she said in almost a whisper. Her voice seemed strained from trying to fight back tears.

The way she had said, made Gunnar feel like that wasn’t the whole story. “Where is he?”

“Gone.” Her voice still a whisper. “He died when I was seven. My mother died when I was young.”

“Don’t you have anyone waiting for you back home?” He asked.

“No. I joined the military because I had no where else to go.” She said as her hand grabbed Gunnar’s shirt. The pain that ran through her body was unbearable. She let out a whimper of pain. She felt safe in his arms. Even though she knew nothing about this man, she didn’t know if he was some kind of killer or psycho, she didn’t care. He was warm, and he seemed to care. Even if it was just a little.

“I don’t care if I don’t have a house to go to. I just want to be back in the states.” Her voice was shaking. “I just want to be home.”

“Let’s make a plan.” Gunnar said as he leaned his back against the wall. “Let’s get out of this place. I’m confident that we can.” He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. “We’ll do it in the morning. Right now we need to rest.  

“We have some information on the whereabouts of Gunnar.” Drummer said as he entered the tattoo shop. Right away Barney and Tool stood up to look at him. Caesar looked up and waited for an answer. Christmas only turned his head to side to hear what what going on. He continued to the throw his knives at the wall.

“Where is he?” Barney asked.

“In the middle of the Iraqi desert.” Drummer replied as he threw a file containing pictures of Gunnar with a hood over his head and men with guns surrounding him as they moved him into a building.

“So when are we going to get his sorry ass out of there?” Christmas said as he looked at his target board.

“We leave tonight.” Barney replied. “Pack you stuff.”

 “Are you sure about this?” Gunnar asked.

“What? Are you afraid to hit a girl?” Rose looked at him with a taunting gaze. “If you’re scared, we can turn away.”

“Like hell I am.” He said taking a step towards her. “Just remember this was your idea.”

At the same time, Rose and Gunnar let out a yell. Gunnar raised his fist high in the air and brought it down on Rose’s cheek. She flew to the side and hit the wall. She pushed herself off the wall and back at Gunnar. Throwing a punch at him, she hit him dead in the eye. Though he didn’t really flinch,he made himself stumble back a little.  

“Hey!” They heard a guard yell from outside. The door to the cell was opened and three men stepped inside. Though Gunnar had no idea what was going to happen, Rose did. The guards charged him with guns pointing at him. He froze as one of the guards pulled back on the trigger. As the bang of the gun travelled through the air, so did a wicked yell. The bullet shot through the air and whizzed past Gunnar. He watched as Rose lunged herself at the nearest guard. Grabbing a hold of the gun barrel, she pointed it at another guard and thrusted her elbow into the throat of her first victim. The gun fired and shot one of the guard through the head and sent him to the ground. Ripping the gun out of the guard’s hand she swung it like a bat and smashed the handle against the first guard’s head. The third guard aimed his gun at Rose, but her bullets were faster. Four ripped through the man’s torso then another through his face. Rose was breathing heavily as she turned her attention back to the first guard who crawled along the floor to grab a gun. Rose toust the rifle in her hand to Gunnar. She walked up to the guard on the ground and smiled.

Reaching down, she grabbed the man’s hair and jerked his head up. Placing her right hand on his chin, and her left on the back of his head, her smile grew even bigger. The man let out pleading sounds and sounded like he was begging for his life.

“See you in hell.” Rose whispered into his ear. With a quick jerk of her hand, a loud snap rang out in the small cell as the guard’s neck was abruptly snapped.

Gunnar watched as Rose stood up straight and looked over at him. The moves that she knew were unreal. Her speed and strength for her size were incredible. She didn’t look like the kind of person who would snap another’s neck.

“Are you ok?”She asked looking at him up and down.

“Yeah.” Gunnar said.

“Well then, let’s get the hell out of here.”