Chapter 13

Though things had been said to one another about love that night, Rose and Gunner decided to stay friends for the time being. They came to this conclusion for Gunner's safety. There was a small list of things that scared Gunner, and an angry Barney was the first thing on the list. He knew that if Barney found out, he would get a foot straight up his ass and never be able to sit again. Barney was practically like a father to Rose and would do anything to protect her. Gunner wasn't too worried about everyone else, with the exception of Doc and Christmas. They would probably try to kick his ass too. And now, of all time, was not the best moment to tell anyone at all. Barney had just gotten back from a supposed to be three day meeting with Drummer, but it ended up being a whole week. The Expendables had a new mission and they were to leave in three days when more information would arrive on Barney's doorstep. 

Gunner had wasted his remaining salary the night before the mission at the bar Rusty's, the only thing on his mind was Rose. He thought about how she could possible get herself killed in no time, not having been on a mission with the team before and he cussed himself out and at Barney in his head for allowing her to go. Being friend zoned didn't help him any either. Though it was partially his idea, he kept kicking himself in the ass, thinking over and over about how they could have kept it a secret, but he had to open his big mouth and suggest being friends. But at the same time, he was glad. Manly for the reason that it seemed less awkward. Gunner was old, he knew he was old, he knew he should be out of the dating pool and onto something else by now. But then came Rose, and everything changed. She was so young, almost twenty years of age and she had already proclaimed her love for him without a second thought. Maybe it was better off that they were friends. 

Somewhere in the distance, Space Oddity played quietly as the smell of beer and smoke floated in the air. Gunner looked around him with usual half-assed smiled and glare, a large glass of Columbia beer clenched in his hand. The thought of what tomorrow would bring picked at his mind. Raising his glass and swirling it a around a little, he took down the rest of the half full glass without a sweat in three gulps or less and slammed the glass down on the table. He could feel his anger getting the best of him. Suddenly, Beth, the old woman bar tender came over to him with a chuckle. 

"Ya know, I just had the dent fixed from the last time you came here with your friends. She pointed at the metal jukebox in the corner. The usual red side of it had been changed to a dull silver. "What's bite'n you this time, old timer?" She said with a smirk of amusement when she saw the look of defeat on Gunner's face.

Gunner rolled his eyes and grunted at the name 'old-timer'. That was one thing he couldn't handle. Though it was true that Gunner was older than Beth, he was only a year and half older than her. "You're one to talk." Gunner said raising the glass to his lips, but remembered that he had already finished his drink and placed the glass back down on the bar. Like a psychic, Beth placed a bottle of beer on the bar in front of Gunner and smiled.

"Lookin for this?" She said.

"Shut up." Gunner said as he grabbed the bottle from her. 

"Wow Mr.Grouch. What's got your panties in a bunch?" She asked leaning. "Something to do with that girl? Rose is it?"

"Yeah." Gunner said.

"What happened?" 

"She won't listen to reason." Gunner said, remembering the evil glare she gave Barney when he protested against her and told her to stay home. She had yelled at him and said that she was going no matter what.

"Rose!" Barney said as he knocked on her door. Within seconds, he could hear a faint stumble here and there within the apartment and then the door opened. "We need to talk." Barney said as he pushed the door open the rest of the way.

After seating himself on the couch and resting his elbows on his knees, he looked down at the floor till Rose sat down in the chair next to the couch.

"I know what you said earlier. But I still think you should sit this one out." He said.

He could hear the annoyed sigh that he was expecting and quickly smirked. "Why can't I go with?" She asked in a low voice. "I'm more capable than I look." 

"I know that, but you still need rest. You don't know how these things work. You're too young to get yourself involved in this kind of work."

"You were the one recruited me!" Rose said.

"I know, and it was a mistake." He stated before he got up when there was nothing but silence. Making his way to the door, and walked out to the hall and looked back at the door. Rose stood there looking down at the floor, a look of disappointment and failure in her eye. She knew what he had meant. He knew about how she had overdosed. She knew about her night terrors and freak outs during the day over the smallest of movement and the quietest of sounds. 

Letting out a sigh, he ran his fingers through his hair and leaned his head back, giving a small smile.

"I'll be back before you know it." He said looking over at her. The look in her eye didn't change, but something sparked.

"Dad said those same words." Rose said looking at him. "he was right though, I saw him within a few days." A smile on her face. 

Barney let out a quiet sigh. She sounded more relaxed about it, thinking about old times with her father. The missions back then didn't last very long, two or three days tops.

"After all, I was the only one who could identify the body at the time." Rose said, the smile turned into a disgusted frown. "An eight year old kid will believe anything her father tells her, even if it turns out to be lie she'll still believe it." The door slammed shut.