Chapter 14

Rose leaned against the door and tried to take a deep a breath as her chest tightened. She could feel the tears beginning fill her eyes and stream down her face. Her knees grew weak and she slid down the door pulling her legs close to her body, and burying her face in her arms. The thought of Barney and the others leaving her alone sent chills through her bones, the idea that they might not come back made her feel sick to her stomach. Visions of her father's smile flashed behind her closed eyes then changed to his dismembered and severely burnt body laying on a silver table. She let out the sob that had been suppressed for so long and was surprised at how loud it was. She couldn't let Barney leave without her. She needed to go with him.

Barney stood outside of Rose's door and could hear the faint sobs from within the room. He looked down at the floor remembering how her father had given up his life to protect him and the other Expendables so long ago. Letting out a long sigh, he turned around and made his way to the elevator, coming up with a plan to solve the problem at hand. 

 Gunnar shut his cycle off after pulling it off to the side of the road outside of the tattoo shop. Climbing off of his bike he noticed that a light up above was on. The apartments above the shop, where Rose, Lee, and Barney lived were usually silent at this point in the night. Gunnar looked down at the clock on his phone noticed that it was 2 am. He looked back up. Seeing movement around inside the room, he realized that the room belonged to Rose.

Why is she awake? He thought. He walked into the tattoo shop made his way up to the apartments.

Standing out in front of Rose's door, he let out the breath he had no idea he was holding. He wanted tell her how he felt, but he didn't want to come off as a creep. After all, his age and his looks were not ideal. But he still wanted her to know. He slowly raised his fist to the door.

Sitting on the couch silently, Rose held the the class in her hand tightly. Her eyes stung from the tears that she tried to hold in. Taking in shaking breaths, she tried to forget the images that had flashed through her mind moments before. Her heart beat seemed to be going a mile a minute. Her nerves were so on end that when there was a knock at the door, the class that she held in her held crushed under the pressure. A loud crash from the glass snapping, brought her back to reality and the pain that followed made the tears swell out of her eyes. Jumping up she ran to the door and flung it open.

"Rose!" She looked up into the surprised face of Gunnar. He looked at her and saw only the tears that ran down her cheeks to her chin. "Rose..." He said placing a hand on the side of her face and rubbing his large thumb under her eye to wipe away the warm tears. He leaned down and placed his lips softly against her forehead. He then wrapped his arms around her lower back and pulled her in tightly.

"Gunnar?" Rose asked in a shaking voice. "What are you doing here?"

"I saw your light on. I got a little worried." His low and raspy voice rang out through the hall. "Tell me what happened." His voice was stern and seemed strict. His grip on her tightened.

"N-nothing." She said in a low voice. Gunnar grunted and pushed her into the apartment and slammed the door shut. Spinning her around with a snarl, he pushed her up against the door and looked at her with a glare.

"Don't you ever lie to me." He snarled at her, pushing her harder against the door.

"G-Gunnar." She said.

"Tell me what happened." He snapped at her.

"I-I-I..." Rose stared. She saw the mean look in his eyes.

"Did someone hurt you?" He asked in a growl. "Did someone touch you?"

"No." Rose said looking away. She tried to get out of Gunnar's grip, but he only tightened it. "I just couldn't sleep..." She said in a little voice.

"Rose." Gunnar said. He placed a finger on her chin and pushed her face up. "Look at me." His voice was low and calm now. "I care too much about you too much to just walk away. I know something is wrong." He said looking her deep in the eyes.

His scruffy look seemed to get to her. More tears began to run down her face as she watched him.

"I don't care anymore." He said. Wrapping his fingers around her thighs, he lifted her up to his level. Pressing his lips hard against her's he pushed her up against the wall. The strong smell of liquor on his breath.

"Mmhph." She said. Her hands pushed on his shoulders. Her fingers dug into his shirt, but slowly relaxed until they only rested on his large shoulders. The scruff on his chin brushed against her cheek as he slid his lips to her ear.

"I love you." He said in a low raspy voice. Rose was breathing heavily and her head seemed to be light. Her legs tightened around his hips as he pushed her against the wall harder than before.

"Rose." He moaned into her ear. He pulled off from the wall and walked out into the apartment and sat down on the couch as Rose sat straddling him on his lap.

What was happening? Rose thought.

"Love you so much." He looked her in the eyes with a lustful gaze and moved his hand down to her hips and squeezed. He wrapped his arms around her back and pulled her in. Leaning back, he took in a deep breath and smiled as Rose rested her head against his chest. "You're mine." He said in a low voice. "I don't want to let you go. I want you to love me." He squeezed her tight.

"Gunnar..." She whispered.

"Promise me." He said looking at her. "Next time you can't sleep, call me." He said running his fingers through her hair. "I'll be here faster than you could ever imagine." He rested his head on the top of her head. He held her tight and rubbed his hand back and forth. Slowly, Rose wrapped her arms around the back of his neck and took in a deep breath. She closed her eyes and listened to his heartbeat. It was relaxing.

She knew Gunnar was sincer. He would never lie about something like that.