Chapter 25 : Be my friend

*1 week later*

Atsushi's pov.

I'm scared. This last week people i know started to disappear from a day to another. It all started with Ranpo, he was the first to disappear, then the school secretary Ango, Chuuya and Dazai also Poe did not show up to the school. And then Oda Sakunosuke, Dazai's homeroom teacher.

Who will be the next to disappear? Me?? I hope not ...

"Atsushi? You okay?" asked me my girlfriend Lucy.

"Yeah I'm fine" i replied with a smile but she didn't seem to believe me.

"Sigh~ Your really slow, at this rate we'll never reach Poe's house..." she said with an annoyed look.

Oh yes, we visit Poe to give him the lessons he missed. Since I did not know where he lives I asked Lucy, according to what she said to me they has known each other since kindergarten.

We walked for half an hour before we finally arrived to Poe's house.It's now that i regret not had taken the bus.

'What a big house.'

We walked to the door and knocked. No response. 'Huh...'

"Well, it seems he's not at home so we should go-" before i had the time to finish my sentence Lucy opened the front door and walked in.

"Huh??!! Lucy what are you  doing??!!" i yelled looking at her walking in Poe's house.

"He never lock doors..." she replied.

"It's not a reason! What if his parents were here?! " i yelled and she turned around.

"They left the country for 'business', he live on his own since four years." she replied and continued walking in the house.

"Yet that's no reason to go into people's homes like that ... " i said nervously yet i followed her upstairs.
Lucy suddenly stopped and  took out her phone, she certainly got a message or something.

"His room is over here, sorry i need to go" she said pointing at a door and left me here, all alone.

"Huh-?" I looked at the door that was supposed to be Poe's room which was at the end of a long dark hallway ...

I slowly took a step towards the door then another and another, the darkness of the hallway engulfing me little by little. 'Why is there no light?!'

When I got to the door I took a deep breath before turning the doorknob.
I open the creaking door to find more darkness. I took the few steps into the bedroom, squinting my eyes to try to see something in this dim light.

I suddenly saw a faint light like a candle flame. 'Wait, I have my phone, so why haven't I used it? I'm so stupid ... ' I pulled out my phone and turned on the lamp on it.

I moved my phone to illuminate the room with my dim light, I turned my phone to the left and-

"Ohayo Atsushi"

"KYAAA-!!"

~°•☆•°~

Poe was sitting at his desk with a pen in his hand and a piece of paper in front of him. I couldn't see his face well but i definitely saw him smile... I looked at him annoyed before walking toward the window.

"Where are you going-? Wait!! Atsushi don't do that--!!!" I ignored him and opened the shutters and daylight flooded the room.

"Haa-! My eyes!" he screams. He falls to the floor then crawls to hide under his desk. I sighed while walking toward the old wooden desk then kneeled down to look at Poe who was under it.

"Come out of there already..." i said pulling him by his arm but he of course tried to resist. I managed to pull him out of under the desk after 5 minutes and looked at him at first annoyed but then i started to get a little worried. He had dark circles under his eyes, he looks really tired like if he didn't sleep during a whole week.

"W-What happened to you?? Did you get any sleep this week? Wait more important, did you eat anything??" i asked with a worried expression.

He pointed his finger and i looked behind me where he was pointing at.
There were empty cups of instant noodles lying on the floor...

"You look like a mess... I'll go cook something so go take a shower for now" I said while standing up before helping him to stand up as well.

I looked at him walking slowly and tiredly to another room which i suppose is the bathroom then i went downstairs and started searching if there was any food in the kitchen.
Actually i didn't find anything other than instant noodle... So i quickly went out to buy some ingredients.

When i came back i find Poe sleeping on the couch. I started to cook trying to not wake him up, he really need some sleep. When I finished, I put the food on the table and walked toward the couch where Poe was still sleeping.

"Poe, come eat" I say softly and give him a slight shake. He hummed before slowly opening his eyes. I helped him get up and walk over to the table. He sat down, whispered a low 'itadakimasu' and started to eat.
When he finished i took the dirty plate and went wash it.

"Atsushi" he called and i looked toward him.

"Yeah?" i replied.

"Thanks and sorry for all the trouble, I'll pay you back for the food and -"

"Why-Wait a minutes, what are you talking about?? What do you mean you'll pay me back?? I didn't do all of this for money" i said quickly.

"Hey- S-Sorry I didn't mean- I-I mean you took care of me so I wanna to return the favor..." he said looking down on the table.

"Return the favor?" i said looking at him then smiled.

"I see. But if you want to return me the favor then, be my friend!" i said smiling and he looked at me with wide eyes.

"Your... Friend?" he asked and i nodded happily.

" Of course if you don't want to then it's alright- "

"I want to! I want to be your friend!" he said with enthousiast. I looked at him surprised, I could see sparks in his eyes. I laughed and he smiled.

"Well that's settled, now you should get some sleep. And Monday you'll go to school understood" i said and he nodded.

He went to his room and i left to go back to my home. I wonder what will happen next week, I hope the three missing will finally come back.