23 | soulmates

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
SOULMATES
[23]

song: Cough Syrup by Young the Giant

hey Luna, I think you dropped this 👑

+++++++++++++++

George found Lin studying by the lake by herself. "Hey, Kai."

Lin panicked when she heard the voice. But when she looked up, it was George instead of Fred. "Hi, George. Did you need something?"

"I wanted to talk to you about your relationship with Fred." George sat down next to her.

"Okay...." Lin said awkwardly and bookmarked her page.

"I know two nights ago, that Fred was making a movie night for you and him. What happened that night?" George asked, concern showing. "He won't tell me, and he hasn't been his usual mischievous self lately."

"He told me he loved me." Lin sighed. George's mouth formed an 'o'. "And I said I couldn't say it back."

For George the solution was very simple, "Just tell him you're not ready!"

"It's not that simple... He wants someone who will say they love him back. I can't do that." She looked off into the distance of the Black Lake.

"So you have, what's the word.... Philophobia? The fear of falling in love." George said.

"I— I guess so." Lin had never really thought about it until now. She had a fear of falling in love.

"Then that's your problem. Overcome your fear. Fall in love with Fred." Lin didn't look so sure, and George saw her doubt. "You're a Gryffindor. Be brave."

+++++

Lin finally built up the courage to confront Fred after about an hour of pros and cons.

He was alone in the common room, writing down and planning ideas for new products. George and Lee weren't there, no doubt having a romantic date somewhere.

"Fred?" Lin began timidly. "Could we talk for a minute?" Fred looked up and had an expressionless face, his usual mischievous glint wasn't there today.

Fred replied unsurely, "Yeah, I guess." He scooted over on the sofa for her to take a seat.

"I think we should talk about... that night." Lin said quietly. She took a deep breath before continuing, "I don't want us to be apart. But I can't say it. I have Philophobia, the fear of falling in love. I want us to be an us, but I'm just not ready to say it."

Fred thought for a second. His feeling and love for her couldn't just vanish like magic, they were there. He would make the rational decision and wait for her to be ready.