4

Malorie

"Mum, do I actually have to?"

I moaned for the hundredth time in attempt to escape the 'family outing'. I just didn't see the point in coming face to face with people who don't even like you much.

"Yes Malorie! You have to! You missed Christmas dinner because you 'weren't feeling well'," she spoke with her fingers motioning quotation marks "you missed Nana-Mary's Birthday because you had a school trip, you even missed you own fourteenth so you could go to the library!"

"Okay, I had an exam the day after, I wasn't risking ANYTHING for that A*" I cut in trying to justify myself. She rolled her eyes and went on protesting.

"That's not the issue Malorie!" she said through gritted teeth, "I can't keep making excuses as to why my only daughter can't find the time to be with her family." I could see that from this point she was getting slightly irritated.

She took a deep sigh and tapped her foot continuously onto the bottom stair case where I was standing.

"Get yourself up those stairs, and get dressed."

" I _"

"NOW!" she exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes before pacing up the stairs with her still shouting behind me.

"Is there something in your eye Mally?"

It was as if she was deliberately trying to aggravate me. She knows how much I disliked it when she calls me Mally. I sighed once more and said through gritted teeth "No mum."

She smiled sternly before strolling back into the kitchen whispering to herself.

I ran into my room where I threw off my home cloths and tried to decide on something to wear.

As I scanned my room my eyes met the window, I walked towards it and looked through the glass with my elbow wedged on the Window pane.

The weather looked nice for April. Cars skid down the busy main street and people walked up and down the grey gum-stained pavements.

But if there was anything outside that caught my eye, it would be the group of boys stood around a wall, making a whole lot of noise and cycling around each other. Most of them attended my school and were in the year above. But it was the mixed race, green eyed beauty in a black , Nike beanie and Grey joggers that caused my heart to jump.

I had to stop this habit of staring out my window subconciously in the hope of seeing him.

As a smile flexed unto my face, memories of last nights encounter rushed into my head. And frankly, I didn't think I was ever going to forget it.

I guess it was the way treated me, like I was important, and that my well being mattered to him. The funny thing is, that was still that massive instinct inside of me, telling me otherwise.