8

Quick recap.

MJ does not like Devonte. But typically, Devonte is liked by everyone else. It comes to Malorie's bad luck that they have to work together for a school task. They almost get along however a turn of events means MJ dislikes him even more. He does apologise but nothing is solved and they end up not speaking to each other at all.

And now to chapter 8

Enjoy.

***

It all started when I received a text message from an unknown number. I was at piano practice. My teacher, Jaquez, had set me some finger placement exercises to do, when I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket. After looking to make sure my teacher was still distracted by some papers on the desk, I proceeding to open the text that had appeared.

"Can I see you?"

I stared at the screen blankly. I'd only had this phone for a week and the only person I knew had my number was Hazel. But I saved hers so the text definitely was not from her. I slowly put my phone onto the top of mum's varnished piano when I noticed Jaquez eyeing me.

"Back to work lil bitch." He muttered. Shocking I know, but Jaquez didn't really give two shits. He was a French instructor that mum was really close friends with. Not to mention he was extremely good looking. I just wish he'd stop calling me 'lil bitch', you know?

I playfully frowned and got back to Mozart.

By the time Jaquez had left, which was around 3, the Saturday had gotten warmer and mum had left from grocery shopping so consequently, I was home alone.

I had just finished washing my mane and I was leaving it to air-dry, when I heard the doorbell ring. My room was pretty high up in the house so the sound was only faint. I looked out the window to find the usual boys across my street on bikes. But the roofed porch attached to the front of my house meant I couldn't see who was at the door. 

Then I remembered Nathan was meant to come over today to collect his portfolio anyway so I shoved my phone into the back pocket of my jean shorts and ran down the stairs.

I swung the doors open and walked back inside without even thinking.

"It's on the living room desk I think, well most of it any_"

"Why didn't you reply?"

I snapped my head up and almost lost my balance. He was dressed in a pair of jeans and a loose black and white Nike shirt. And the golden tone of his skin and curly hair that he had faded on top of his head made me certain that it was not in fact Nathan.

"Robbie?

He looked so good right now, and here I was, looking homeless. My hair was drenched and dripping on my bare shoulders, and my tank top was soaked so it was practically see-through. Perfect day for me to be wearing a bright pink bra too.

"I mean, I know you're pissed at me or whatever but you could've just said no?"

I wanted to speak to him and apologise for freaking out last week because he hadn't spoken to me or acknowledged me in school since then. And I'd been practicing what I was going to say to him when I got the chance but right now, my words wouldn't even form in my head.

He stood and stared at me through his squinted eyes and rubbed his hands over his face. I was standing in a pool of water now and I kept having to wipe the drips from my temples.

"Reply to what?" I finally said.

His eyes widened, almost as if he was surprised to hear my voice.