Part 20: Wonder of Wonders

Summary: We meet new people from new places and get a few answers. Some are pretty straightforward, but others make life more complicated, some in the best of ways.

Notes: In the story, it's still Tuesday morning October 31, 2023, and Natasha, Bruce, and Nick just said goodbye and good riddance to Sec. Ross in the new Avengers Compound parking lot. Time for that appointment. Maybe play "What a Wonderful World" a few times.

Part 20: Wonder of Wonders

Before they'd made their way across the parking lot, Bruce glanced at a text that had just pinged into his phone. "Shit. Marsha needs help. See you there," he said before making the 50-yard sprint to the temporary medical building without offering more of an explanation to Natasha or Nick who couldn't hope to match his speed. Bruce barely slowed down enough when he arrived at the doors to avoid taking them off their hinges.

The concerned EMT, who had sent the urgent text, was not standing in her usual post behind the check-in desk, but between two individuals in the small waiting area. One looked suspiciously like television Doctor Doogie Howser right down to the bold-colored wide tie. The other was a brown-haired woman in a long blue robe and leggings who registered as somehow familiar to the Hulk part of him. Marsha spotted Bruce, and a look of relief spread across her face.

"See, here's Dr. Banner. There's no need to go rescue anyone in the parking lot," Marsha assured the two strangers.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce Banner. May I help you?" he asked the odd newcomers. Their jaws had dropped when they turned toward him, and the two stared up, looking cartoonishly speechless for a moment. He glanced at Marsha, "Everything okay?"

"I told them Commander Fury said he would be back shortly, but they were getting really concerned," she explained. He got that. Ross always set off his warning bells, too.

The two strangers kept staring at Bruce. The woman gazed at him quizzically and murmured, "You've definitely changed."

The Doogie Howser clone looked him up and down before he blurted, "I didn't know humans came in this size or color. How magnificent!"

"Uh, thank you, I guess." Bruce blinked at them, feeling a bit befuddled by their reactions. He then gestured with his thumb toward the door and turned. "Fury was right behind me. Ah, here he is." Nick strode through the door with Natasha beside him, looking flushed. Bruce was relieved neither of them had their guns drawn.

"Commander, I know we're here to see the female, but . . ." the one who looked like Doogie asked Fury as he pointed at Bruce, ". . . he is a unique specimen. Could I . . ."

Nick looked up at Bruce and gave him an apologetic grimace. "This is Doraak. Doraak, this 'specimen' is Dr. Banner, and he's the one who brought you back from oblivion."

Doraak looked crestfallen. "I meant no disrespect. My apologies."

"We are so sorry, Dr. Banner," the woman said stepping forward with her hand extended. "I am Medryth, a healer from New Asgard. I've been in consultation with Dr. Crosier. I'm part of an exchange program with Talos' people, so I'm here to confer."

Bruce took her offered hand carefully to shake it. "Just Bruce is fine. It's a pleasure, Medryth." He then turned to Doraak and offered his hand. "Pleased to meet you, too, Doraak."

"The honor is mine," the small being said, straightening up to his full height, which was still below Natasha's. "I am what you Earthers would call a biochemist with some expertise in toxicology." He shook Bruce's hand tentatively. "I'm here to serve in any way I can."

"Thank you both," Bruce said and turned to Natasha. "May I introduce you to Natasha Romanoff?"

"Thank you for coming all this way." Nat smiled and shook hands, exchanging pleasantries. Apparently, Nick had called in a few favors for her, and she was grateful.