Part 17: Hearts and Minds

Summary: It's Natasha's turn to dream as she tries to work through her emotions and adjust to her new situation. Reconciling her past with her present and figuring out why she was targeted leads Nat to confronting feelings of loss and considering alternate explanations.

Notes: Better late than never! Thanks for sticking with me. I'll try and keep the momentum going through till the end.

In the story, it's still late Monday night of October 30, 2023, as Natasha dreams.

Part 17: Hearts and Minds

Although she hardly moved after she fell asleep on Bruce's chest, Natasha's dreams weren't peaceful. She was working a mission with teammates from different decades mashed together at first, several of whom had never met in reality. She was the only common factor connecting some of them. They were assaulting a tower made of dark natural rock that sloped upward steeper and steeper until it disappeared into a ceiling of low-hanging clouds above them. The light was a strange orange-pink like dawn or twilight, she wasn't sure, and the thick cloud cover made it difficult to locate the sun? This certainly wasn't Belarus or Kansas, Toto. When she looked down the slope, the situation was much the same with a layer of fog blanketing most of the lower elevations and what look like flooded fens below. If the visibility were better, she was sure there'd be a flaming eye at the top of the climb and a plaque that said, "Welcome to Mordor."

Clint was beside her as they advanced cautiously up the incline, but he was dressed in a strange black and gold hooded uniform, which she didn't recognize. His bow and quiver were missing. One of her sisters, an older Widows trained in the Red Room program, was on her left side, firing at something in the fog below with both her handguns. Natasha's heart came into her throat when she realized the woman was supposed to be long dead a decade or more ago. Natasha knew for certain she had to be dreaming to have plucked a person out of her past.

Shouts and screams and the sound of high-tech weapons' fire roiled up the foggy slope beneath their position. The ground shuddered, and suddenly Clint grabbed Natasha's right shoulder and pushed her down flat against the gravely path. A blob of orange energy struck an outcrop just ten yards beyond them, shaking the ground and sending rock chips flying.

"Fuck!" Clint spat and wiped blood out of his eyes that dripped from a small gash on his forehead where a piece of stone had nicked him. As Natasha gave the wound a quick inspection, he touched his comms, "Hey, whatever let loose that fireball way outclasses us. Isn't it about time for a Code Green?"

There was a roar from far below them followed by the creaking rip and crunch of metal and panicked screams mixed with smaller arms' fire. "Fast enough for you, Barton?" a deep male voice she didn't recognize snapped back over the comms. "He was already worried about Romanoff, so get ready."

Something hit the same rockface just above them, but this time it made a wet thud and the mangled body of an Outrider slid down and landed in a lifeless heap of broken limbs. A S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent on Clint's right retched and threw up. Nat wondered whom they were fighting and what the objective could be. It had to be Thanos' army, but why were they ascending the slope to this tower?

Something large bellowed on the path below. It was closer to them than the sound of weapons' blasts. A dark shape sprang clear from the tendrils of fog and sped toward them on all fours . . . no, sixes? Natasha instantly had her Glocks in hand and sighted them in time to get off a few rounds as the creature closed the gap. Just as she prepared to roll, a blur of purple, gray, and green cut the massive beast off and rocked it backwards on thrashing limbs. She barely had time to recognize Hulk and stop firing before he was on the thing again. He'd landed a double-fisted blow to its lower back and then jerked its head to the side to break the thing's neck in seconds. Another creature came out of the fog and Hulk slammed the dead body of its fellow creature into the second before leaping high in the air through the fog and smashing back down atop the shoulders of a third right behind the second beast. Hulk bashed both their heads with a boulder while they jerked brokenly on the ground.