Part 15: Public Spaces

Summary: Bruce and Nat go on a date. It's hard to keep a secret or stay anonymous in Bridgewater when you're the local hero.

Notes: It's the evening of Monday, October 30, 2023.

They took the HX into town and arrived right on the dot at Sal's Pizzeria and Italian Cuisine, a bright storefront on Main Street, just across and down from Designs by Darla. The sun was indeed going down as Bruce ducked through the front door behind Natasha, and the owner greeted them warmly. The place was cozily warm and almost full, so they maneuvered to the back which had a draped archway that led to a smaller seating area with a few quieter tables away from the crowd. Several people greeted Bruce along the way, and he took a moment to introduce her to an older couple.

"Natasha, this is Gordon Lowell, my good right arm, and his wife Gigi," Bruce explained.

"Just Gordy," the seasoned technician said as he rose and shook Nat's hand. "Pleased to meet you at last Ms. Romanoff. Dr. Banner has spoken of you very fondly."

She noted he still had a solid grip and work-callused hands. His eyes were pale blue-gray and lively as he searched her face. "I'm sorry I've been this long overdue getting here to Bridgewater."

Gigi looked a bit confused as she shook Natasha's hand. "Were you blipped back, too, Ms. Romanoff?"

"Like Mark Twain said, 'The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated,'" she paraphrased.

Gordy shot a look at Bruce who simply smiled. "It's a very complicated story. We'll talk tomorrow, okay?"

"Gotcha," the older man said with a considering nod. He sat back down and patted his wife's hand. "Nice to meet you, Miss. See you in the morning, Doc." Gigi smiled and nodded, apparently willing to wait for an answer, too.

"My pleasure," Nat said and followed Sal back to their corner table. She wasn't surprised to see Bruce give his employee a grin and a nod of reassurance to the man's questioning look then pat Mr. Lowell on the shoulder before following her. Who'd have pegged Hulk for being so tactile and touchy-feely?

"Here we are at your usual spot, Dr. Banner. Will this be all right?" the owner asked them as he pulled a chair back and offered it to Natasha. The other seat was oversized and obviously meant for Bruce.

"If we could shift a bit so the lady's back is to the wall, that would be perfect, Sal."

"Not a problem," the restaurateur responded, and he and Bruce adjusted the seats so Natasha would have a clear view of the room and the door.

As Nat settled into her seat, she thanked Sal and then shared a chuckle with Bruce. "I'm surprised you remembered."

"I want you to be comfortable, and I understand hypervigilance. Just don't forget we're having pizza in Bridgewater and not playing poker in Tombstone or Deadwood." Bruce handed her a menu from the stack on the table.

"Or Budapest or Minsk," she added. "I know, but I do appreciate the thought." She scanned over the list of specialty pizzas and other entrees and appetizers. "What's good?"

"The Caesar salad is a definite yes, and you could use the iron. I usually get the 'Monster Wild Mushroom' which has caramelized onions and arugula, but I could be persuaded."

Nat snorted, "Then you really haven't changed." She had a lot of memories of Bruce snarfing down all the carbs he could get his hands on after a Code Green without seeming to care about the source or the calories. She studied him for a moment as he looked around and nodded or half waved to acknowledged the people he knew. He seemed very at ease, something she'd only seen in him on rare occasions as Banner.