Part 1: The Price

Notes:

We start on Monday, October 22, 2023: Eleven days after achieving time travel, six days since losing Natasha, five days after the Hulk Snap, two days since Tony's funeral, and one since Steve went into the Quantum Realm and Old Man Steve appeared.

First, we have to fix that arm!

"Five days! It's been FIVE WHOLE DAYS that you've been walking around like this? Just what the hell were you thinking, Bruce?" Dr. Helen Cho swore intensely as she escorted an ailing Dr. Bruce Banner down the Avengers Quinjet ramp to the rooftop at the U-GEN building in Soule, South Korea. The more she saw of the obvious physical damage inflicted by the Infinity Stones, the more the geneticist was getting wound up. This was a complete reversal of their normal temperaments as the healer began to rant at her friend and professional collaborator, and the physicist calmly accepted her chastisement with a sheepish smile and a shrug of his broad shoulders underneath his tailored charcoal gray suit.

His right arm was now out of the sling he'd used during Tony's funeral a few days before, but it was an obvious mismatch with his healthy left arm. "안녕하세요 to you, too, Helen," Bruce replied with a good-humored laugh. "By the way, this is Princess Shuri of Wakanda," he said, gesturing behind them with his good hand to the slim, bright-eyed teen who was enjoying a laugh at his expense as she tucked a meter-long cylindrical container under her arm to bring off the Quinjet with her. "I believe you've already been consulting over the Internet," the physicist added.

Helen suddenly flushed with embarrassment and turned to her other visitor. "Oh, my apologies, Princess Shuri. I'm sorry for being so rude. It's good to finally meet you in person, your highness."

"No problem, Dr. Cho. Please, just 'Shuri' is a lot easier." She reached up and gave Bruce's good arm a pat. "This is more important, and you are right to give him Hell for not getting here sooner," the young woman chided Bruce.

"Just 'Helen,' please," the older scientist said, feeling very chagrined.

"Hey, I tried to get here faster, and you know that, Princess," Bruce needled the young Wakandan prodigy in return since they'd had to detour for her to pick up her package in Oakland, CA, on the way from Upstate New York to South Korea. Bruce turned to his colleague, "Please, Helen, you'd just gotten back to your family, and there were too many other things going on after the battle at the Avengers Compound to have more than triage done anyway. Thanks to Shuri and her medics, it's been stable or improving over the last four days, and if you look closely," he pulled back his blue dress shirt's collar and bent down for a better view of his neck, "it's starting to regenerate around the edges of the burn."

"I could tell that from some of the scans you sent, but let's get inside the lab, and I'll judge for myself." Bruce was just able to fit his oversized frame inside the freight elevator with the two scientists by ducking and crouching a bit. Squeezing through the doors on the staircase would have been worse. When they arrived at the correct floor, Dr. Cho led them into one of her lab spaces where the third generation of "the Cradle" and its related research projects now resided. "I'm sorry for the mess and disorganization. The program and our research agenda continued in my absence, but I'm almost back up to speed." Bruce noted everything looked as neat and well-organized as it always had in the past.

Helen kept grumbling to herself in both English and Korean as she helped him take off his clothing from the waist up before tackling the protective sheathing and nutrient treatment wrap shielding his right arm. The irony of their character reversal—her anger and his calm—wasn't lost on him, and he bit his lower lip to avoid smiling too much and antagonizing her. She still shot him a deadly glance. "Don't you dare smile unless that's from the pain meds, Banner," Helen threatened. He doubted there were currently any pain meds involved since they'd never been effective for long after his original "accident" altered his metabolism. He was used to being stoic about it as Banner and irritable when he'd been just Hulk about three years ago. Now that he'd co-integrated, he was enduring it as good-naturedly as he could.