Part 18: What You Wish

Body and Soul: The Endgame Fix

Summary: Nat and Bruce talk, and he takes her on a tour of some of the facilities before breakfast.

Notes: In the story, it's early Tuesday morning October 31, 2023, as Natasha wakes up.

Part 18: What You Wish

When she stirred just a little past 4:00 am, Natasha was still in Bruce's arms. Well, draped over them at least. She was higher on his chest, resting her head on a firm, furry pec. She listened to his heart and his deep breathing that gently rocked her for a bit then she slid quietly off his muscular torso and tiptoed into the bathroom. She'd had plenty of liquids, so it was no surprise they'd caught up to her. When she lay back down, Bruce had turned onto his side facing her and held the covers up so she could slip in beside him.

His warmth drew her in and his familiar smell comforted her. "Sorry, Bruce. I didn't mean to wake you up."

"Hey, no problem. Are you okay, Nat? I know this whole thing has to be hard." He flexed his arms and stretched his neck before settling his head onto his pillow and left forearm. The grace and control of his movement reminded her of felines and dragons again, especially as he yawned.

"Yeah, just some really weird dreams." Nat traced a woven pattern on the sheet between them with her left index finger.

"That happens when you're coming off of meds; plus, you've had so much forced unconsciousness, that's probably exacerbating any sleep issues."

"What about you?"

She could see him smile in the ambient light. He had a nice smile. "With the Gamma, I don't need to sleep as much as I used to, but when I hit the R.E.M. phase, I can have pretty crazy dreams. I don't always remember them all, but I have had some conversations with my other selves that I'm pretty sure does happen on some level. Like tonight, Hulk really wanted s'mores while we all had a nice conversation around a fire. I mean, the place might not have been real, but the conversation certainly was."

Nat chuckled. "You and Banner and Hulk together. What did you talk about?"

"You," he admitted with a chuckle. "How happy we all felt that you're back. What I'm worried about. I asked for some help with technical issues and prognostication, too."

"Sounds cathartic. I'm going to guess you asked Banner about the 'technical issues' and not Hulk."

"Well, Hulk can get technical, especially about the applied mechanics of things. He knows his moves and punches," Bruce half teased. "It is pretty cathartic. Kind of like I have my own chorus or cheering section, I suppose." He frowned and looked a little more serious. "I should tell you I dreamed about you and Banner talking in a sunny field of wildflowers and then I was more in Banner's head and Hulk joined us for a bit. Does that sound familiar?"

She tried not to look too surprised, but there was a surrealness about it. She pinched her own thigh just to make certain she was awake. "Okay, sounds like one of the same dreams as mine. Were you there, too, and I just didn't see you?" Natasha asked.

"No, not like I was present in that moment, but I know you talked, and I can recall some of what was said. Banner doesn't necessarily share every detail. He's pretty protective in general, but between us personalities, he believes in transparency and keeping things as honest as possible. I know that sounds contradictory."

"Well, just a little, but that's human nature." She reached out and touched his nose like a reset button and he grinned.

"Anyway, I hope you're okay with that. Cross my heart, I don't mean to be a voyeur; the information is just there whether I want it or not," he explained. "I mean, I know the whole thing sounds weird."