i

*finley at the top*

FINLEY

Blinding lights like a lightning flash appeared suddenly, enveloping everything within its proximity, eventually fading into a blazed shimmer of neon red. The smoke twisted in a sensual artistic way, forming curls in the gloom, illuminated only by the age-speckled bar lights.

It instantly lifted the brooding mood and lit the room, hundreds of conversations in loud pitched voices, all competing with the heavy rock music that dominated the atmosphere.

The rancid smell of smoke, whisky and wine coated my nostrils, a jangle of voices strung off the wall like soothing piano chords. As I wind my way through the warm bodies mumbling a soft apology to those I bumped along the way, Charley's delicate hands were gripped tightly around mine tugging me along like a pro to her destination, almost like I was a puppet on strings.

Against the loud electronic music, my head was pounding so loud that it almost felt like my brain would soon retort to shut down mode.

I need to get out of here.

"Charley!" A high-pitched squeal followed. Instantly, my heart hammered like a beating drum, raced with a strange sensation. I knew that voice. I recognized that voice. It was one of Charley's best friends. One. They never stuck long enough around me to remember their name. What was it again? Ariana? Arabella?

Holy cow, I was horrible with names.

"Aria!"

"Fin, you remember Aria right? Aria, this is my sister Finley," Charley introduced with her blinding, wide eyed smile that paved the way for those pearly shiny set of whites. She held onto my arm firmly in case I tried to hide behind her, soft green eyes sparkled brightly as she watched my so ever still reaction.

Aria. I was close.

My eyes wandered to Aria's dark glance filled with underlying scrutiny and I fought away the intimidating feeling of those noticeably insincere eyes that bore into mine. For a tiny bit... just a bit, I had almost forgotten how much Aria tolerated me in the presence of Charley.

Aria was leaned back against the bar, her dark hair lying delicately over the bare shoulder of her sequined dress, my eyes dropping momentarily to her low-cut neckline, her displeasing gaze with the smile of one who is not pleased to see their best friend's younger pathetic sister.

Everything about her screamed gorgeous, it was like warning signs went off in my head convincing me that she was automatically better than me because she was pretty.

It wasn't anyone's fault but mine. Aria was beautiful. I was just insecure.

You're gorgeous Finley, you're strong, you're - darn it. No I'm not.

The way her glorious lean body was delicately shaped and fitted around the tight dress... a dress I would - could never have dreamt of wearing. I was somewhat anxious of my outfit and how it compared to hers. Aria looked like she had just happened to walk straight out of a Vogue magazine, effortlessly without blinking an eye.

My lips parted with anxiousness as I was prepared to speak - to say anything but instantly regretted the choice, feeling the anxiety of Aria's dark eyes as they discreetly burnt a hole into the back of my head. Am I smiling? Gosh, I hope I am.

"Oh, this is your sister," Aria said with a low chuckle. She's... being nice. Weird. Or maybe I was being strange for automatically judging her. "Hi! It's so nice to meet you, Finley."