xxxvi

*octavius appreciation*

PAPI OCTAVIUS

        Pair of big green eyes filled with tears melted into mine and I heard the quick padding of little feet on the bare wooden floor. A tiny body collapsed into my legs, tiny arms flung around my knees and a gut-wrenching sob burst out of her trembling lips.

        I bent down slightly, hunched over on my knees and gently scooped her into my arms. Instinctively, my hand came to rest on her backside, softly stroking the side of her face with my tatted fingers. Before I could stop the desire, I found myself murmuring quiet words of reassurance into her ear, desperately willing to stop her crying.

"Don." The young woman called out, her voice filled with a hint of underlying concern and panic. She stepped closer, raising her hands in the air and motioned for me to hand the girl back. "I can take her back. I'm very sorry for the bother. Come on, Elena."

Elena shook her head adamantly as she refused to go back into her mothers' embrace. I couldn't help but stifle a smile, rubbing her back gently. "I don't touch children." I spat out, my voice laced with hot venom at the thought that Elena's mother could possibly think I would hurt her daughter. "Sit down, Sofia."

"I—" Elena's mother paused, silently exchanging glances with me then her dark eyes fixated on the giggling little girl. Her big green eyes sparkled with excitement, awed with the inked tattoos on my neck that seemed to burst to life with each movement.

        "Please don't hurt her. She's not a part of this, she's innocent. My child has nothing to do with Antonio's blood business."

I inhaled a sharp sigh. "I don't hurt children, Sofia. I've said that once, and I won't repeat myself. Now, sit the fuck down." Elena's soft babbling caught my attention as her tiny hands grasped the edge of my white collar and I instinctively softened my voice.

        Children never really took a liking to me; They were either watching me with teary eyes, or I accidentally did something to scare them away yet this little girl sought comfort in my arms.

        Weird. Very weird.

       Antonio's timid eyes peeked up from the barricades of the wooden floor—he actually had the fuckin' audacity to look me in the eye like the coward he was. 

        "Don-" My fingers curled around the cold metal, and I carefully pointed it to his head then pressed it up against his temple almost daring him to speak. And he did. "Sono leale. Cosa ho fatto per meritarmi questo?"

        (I'm loyal. What have I done to deserve this?)

        "Hm?" I twisted my head to the side, a dark sinister feeling engulfing the piece of my heart I had brought from home with me. "Loyal? You're fuckin' loyal?" My deep voice came out harsh, unapologetic and full of control all at the same time.

        Sofia started tearing up, her trembling fingers clung to the fabric of her dress and I knew she was undoubtedly concerned about Elena than her idiotic man of a husband. A solider that I had once given the benefit of doubt—never trust. Never that. Always be fuckin' smarter than the people you hire.