x

FINLEY

"Why are you angry?" I asked the powerful, magnetic man beside me with a permanent scowl complimenting his attractive plump lips. A small squeal escaped my lips as he maneuvered the predatory beast of a car, nearly swerving past another car. Mental note: do not make Octavius angry angry. "A-are you angry at me? Did I.. umm do something to make you mad?"

        "Finley."

        "Yes?"

        "He called you Finley." Octavius grunted lowly running his long, slender finger through his dark curls, and I caught a glimpse of my cherry scrunchie on his wrist adding an unusual splash of color to his sleek, dark outfit. "I call you Finley,"

I cocked my head to the side, a bewildered pout settled on my lips. "You're angry because... because Payson called me by my name? I do not understand. I am confused."

        "How do you know him?"

        "Payson? He's my sister's boyfriend. Is that why you're mad? You're mad because he's my sister's boyfriend? They're in love so I would be a little mad at you if you're interested in Payson. Wait... are you gay? I'm all about expressing yourself but Payson is off limits, he's taken. He's a no no zone. Okay?"

        "Cristo santo," Octavius shook his head, a dark glare directed towards me. With a tatted hand on the wheel, he commanded the car effectively pulling to the side of the deserted street. "How fuckin' clueless can you be, Finley? Are you really that gullible?"

        (Jesus Christ)

        My jaw slacked slowly and I stared at Octavius, flabbergasted trying to figure out if he had just said the very statement I heard. Are you really that gullible? I inhaled sharply taking a deep hardcore intake of O2c as an attempt to calm down my pounding heart. I had never heard Octavius speak to me with such.. such a nasty tone. He sounded mean. Very mean. And I do not like it.

        "P-please don't... don't speak to me like that. If you're angry at me, then let me know why so I can fix it. I don't like those kinds of words, you know that." I spoke softly playing with the zipper of his coat. "If you don't want to be friends with me, then that's... that's fine but you don't have to be mean about it."

Immediately, without hesitation, dark eyes fixated on me, picking me apart with a single darkened glance of his golden eyes. I had always felt like his eyes conveyed the hidden emotions words could never interpret but in a single moment, I had been proved disastrously wrong.

        Those tendered sweet amber eyes now gazed at me with a hidden malevolent glare. "You're fuckin' annoying. You're nothing but a child. Why would I want to be friends with a child? Your rambling is highly distracting and irritating. You don't know the first thing about taking care of yourself; you're a baby and there is nothing I hate more than babysitting."

        "I-I didn't know you.. you felt that way." Tears filled my eyes at his hurtful words, burning through my rigid, protective barricades. I tried to look brave, my lower lip trembled as I surpassed a sob robbing me of the ability to speak – barely allowing a breath to be drawn.

        "I'm s-sorry." My voice broke down at the last word and I didn't — I couldn't bring myself to gaze into those eyes I had once found comfort in. Right now, they terrorized me and left a rotting tension unsettled deep in the pits of my stomach. I was afraid that if I so much as paid a glance towards his way, every attempt at covering up my disappointment and hurt would undone and result in tears.