xv

*her outfit later*

FINLEY

        I grumbled lowly under my breath ripping my glasses from my face and threw them on the table. Without hesitation, the black flats I had worn to work were instantly flung to the corner of my room, utter exhaustion was finally catching up to me.

        Collapsing on my bed, I turned to my side rolling over a couple of times, nearly falling onto the ground before I found a comfortable position. Everything about my body felt heavy from my arms to my feet even my derrière. Ha! What a funny word. I let my head loll from one side to the other, eyes closing one more time as I attempted to enjoy the brief darkness.

"Hey kid!" A bellowing knock on the door jolted me awake, eyes flashing open in pure astonishment. Before I could find the words to express my anger, Darcy's gruffly, deep voice spoke, ultimately silencing me. "I'm leaving for the week. Blake and Riley are at work so Charley's coming over to keep you company."

"Okay... thank you Darc," I mumbled softly, a yawn on the brim of breaking through my closed throat, eventually escaping. I didn't mind Charley coming over for the right especially since I knew my brothers would never allow me to reside alone in the house. They were being annoyingly overbearing, almost suffocating me to the point yet I knew it was all for my safety. They were simply petrified of losing me again.

"Anything happens, call me," Darcy demanded in his You-have-to voice and I nodded absently, almost praying to the heavens for his departure so I could finally rest. "Kid?"

"I will. Goodnight."

I could hear his low grumbling from the other side of the door before his harsh footsteps finally departed and left me with the blissfully, content sound of peace. No overbearing brothers, no Mama. No Riley. No sound except for the light snores that lingered in the air as I relished in the silence of the room luring me to absolute drifting; my eyelashes fluttering against my cheek as my eyes slowly drifted and closed shut.

      By the time I awoke from my slumber, I wasn't on the bed anymore. Somehow I managed to collapse on the ground, gratefully surprised when I spotted the duvet wrapped around me like a taco blanket. I yawned softly, my closed fists traveling to my face as I attempted to rub the sleep away from my eyes and possibly get ready for the day.

        I rose from the ground and stretched my back, the sound of the cracking made me giggle slightly to myself. Be serious Finley. I made my way through the room trying my absolute best to avoid a few of the walls given the bruises that had formed over my forehead. Stupid walls. My eyes flickered over my phone and the several missed calls and text messages I had received over the span of the night.

Okay fine. Only Charley texted me.

And Octavius... ack!

        I'm famous, talk to the hand.

My lips pursed thoughtfully, instinctively scrunching up my nose as I read over Charley's text message.

c: I left early this morning. Make yourself breakfast. Payson will take you to school.

My mouth immediately went dry at her text message, my expression stretched into a mask of terror. Payson? He's taking me to school? My heart started pounding at a increasingly rapid pace, a slight discomfort deep inside my heart and I felt the urge to run, hide, escape, anything to get away from what my brain had perceived to be a threat. Danger. Even with my attempt to calm myself down trying to visualize my serenity, the panic I was feeling grew stronger inside as my mental faculties began to give way to my emotions.