S2 • Chapter 16 • Hand

Your warmth on a cold night is all I ever yearned for.

Just minutes ago, Han was preparing for her death. Her Death. How crazy was that. Now she was on her dragon spirit friend, holding on tight afraid to fall into the dreadful waters below. She's had enough with falling for today.

Swamp bottom looked like a mud stained in a robe of blue from above, with the lake at the center of the swamp shining amidst the green brown.

Haku dove down to the edge of the island and landed on the paved dirt. He quickly turned back to his human like body, swaying like a drunkard early in the morning as he leaned on Han's shoulder. The brunette worriedly looking at him, arms wrapped around him protectively.

"Haku, are you okay? What's wrong?" but the spirit could only muster a few words before fully letting the brunette lift him up. Han was quick to understand what he could mean.

"So, Zeniba told you to rest and you didn't," Han sighed, "How many times should I remind you to listen to Zeniba?"

"I don't like her, she's a mean lady," Haku muttered as he pouted on Han's shoulder.

The two spirits eventually arrived at Zeniba's cottage, where the old lady already had the door opened for them. "Looks like Haku's mission was successful," she looked at the brunette carrying the dragon spirit, "Sort of."

Zeniba closed the door and followed Han inside as the brunette set Haku down on her futon, the dragon spirit immediately curling into a ball, fast asleep.

"If only he rested a bit longer," Zeniba said, taking a seat on the dining table, "You wouldn't have to carry him all the way here."

Han wanted to intervene, to state that if he did stay longer, perhaps she wouldn't be alive anymore but that was a confession for another day. The brunette decided to make some tea but Zeniba stopped from doing so.

"No need, dear. No face has already prepared some for us," Han nodded before taking a seat across Zeniba.

"How are you, dear? I heard Lin left the bathhouse a few weeks ago," Zeniba asked, her face stringed with worry knowing Lin was Han's protector.

"How did you know?" Han asked, Zeniba glanced at the paper cut outs hanging by the window. Han nodded. "The bathhouse is more intolerable without here. But, she's got a good life now so I'm not really complaining."

Of course, Zeniba knew this wasn't the full story, Han usually never told the full story. It was something she would always end up doing because she believes that it was for the best for Zeniba to not know certain details, to avoid worrying her. But Zeniba would still end up becoming more worried than Han would anticipate.

"How about my sister? Did she do anything to you after she caught you?" Han nodded, taking a sip of her tea.

"She made me clean the garden and the pig pens, and I got banned from taking lunch breaks."

Zeniba sighed and nodded, she knew her sister was capable of that. Eager to change the mood, Zeniba stood up and gave Han a warm smile, "Well, you won't have to do any of that horrible stuff here. I have a cherry pie in the oven, would you mind becoming my taste tester?"

Han nodded with excitement, talking to Zeniba about the book she received from the souvenir shop and other things.

Eventually, the sweet aroma of the cherry pie awoke the sleeping dragon spirit, shuffling around the futon bed as he stood up.

"You feeling better?" Han asked as she was about to take her first bite of pie into her mouth.

"I am," Haku swooped in front of her, taking away her first bite.