20 • Book Finale • Resurface of the past

A few months have passed since that life changing incident happened in Oki City. Y/n was free from Yubaba's chains and somehow also managed to end up with her life long crush.

"Haku, dearest, I don't think these are petunias." She said to her partner as she eyed the moving plants in her bare garden. They swayed like a drunken man and although she believed these were flytraps, which she wouldn't mind to have, the buds of the plants were in the shape of a flower bud instead of green tooth like trap.

Haku grunted trying to weed them out but everytime he would pull it out, the vines crawl back to the soil. "You think?" He retorted as he struggled to pull it out, spells and curses didn't help either, in fact, it made things worse.

Just a few hours ago, this strange weed was so big as his palm. Now it was taller than the couple combined. Y/n rolled up her sleeves and grabbed another vine, pulling it with Haku.

If there was one thing she was thankful for working in the bathhouse, it would be the accumulated strength she has now.

With a few more muscle straining pulls, the plant gave in and the two got launched across the garden as the plant writhed before sulking to it's death. Y/n took a number of deep breaths before breaking into laughter with Haku joining in.

"Remind me to never let you do the fertilizing ever again." She breathed out, plopping tiredly to the ground.

Haku laughed before nodding. "Noted."

They stayed that way, beside each other listening to birds singing in the treetops. Haku sighed before getting up, dusting off the dirt from his pants and top. "Come on, I'll cook you some food as a way to apologize for earlier." Reaching out his hand to her. Y/n grabbed it and jumped up, her face contorting into a smirk.

"Oh, the great Kohaku is offering to cook for me. What has given me such an honor?" Haku rolled his eyes before wrapping his arms around her waist and pulled her closer. He stared at her endearingly as he inched closer, Y/n's flushed and stared back, getting lost in his eyes, waiting for something to happen.

Haku then pulled back and let go of her without a word. "Oi, what the heck was that?" She exclaimed and the young man giggled, yes he giggled, before jogging to their unfinished house. It was just furniture in an open square bare land. "Kohaku, you better come back here!" She ran after him and thus began an uncharted game of tag.

...

"So, do you like it?"

Haku was standing beside Y/n like a kid showing their drawing, clutching onto the ladle, he awaited her critique. As soon as the spoon touched her lips, Y/n's eyes sparkled before eating three spoonfuls. "This is amazing! What did you do?" She asked as she ate the food with content, the sight warmed Haku's entire being, seeing his lover eat something he made with gusto was a gift already in itself.

He took a seat beside her and listed out what he did, Y/n listening intently as she devoured her food. Occasionally feeding Haku a spoonful or two.

After that fulfilling lunch, the couple had found themselves hanging out once more at Zeniba's. Situated in one corner, the two cuddled close as they read a book Y/n had found in Zeniba's seemingly never ending book shelf in another room.

"Wait, don't flip it yet, I need to finish this." Haku muttered holding Y/n's hand, eyes scouring the pages. Y/n noticed the cute fixation on Haku's eyes as he mumbled the words as he read, his eyes were relaxed but his eyebrows were slightly furrowed. Adorable.

"Okay, I'm done." Haku looked to his side to find Y/n staring at him with a small smile on her face. "What?" he gawked at her before touching his face, "Is there something on my face?" Y/n shook her head and kissed his cheek instead. "Nothing, you're just cute that's all." She said before flipping to the next page not realizing Haku was frozen, flustered from what just happened.