Caine

"C-Caine?" Doretha whimpers as she glances over at me like I'm about to fall apart.

She stands from the chair and I expect her to throw herself into my arms but instead she runs from the room, a sob clutching in her throat. The rejection pangs in my chest, I had heard every word she said to me and the guilt is overwhelming. I left her once again, it was her tears that gave me the strength to return to her once again. I couldn't let her down.

After a few moments of staring at the ceiling and listening to the beeping of the machines plugged all over my body, a doctor, a nurse and my Doretha return. All of them are smiling but Doretha is beaming.

"Mr Olsen, glad to see you awake."

The doctor says with a smile as Dot sits back in her chair and grips my arm.

Test after test and final check after final check fill my life for the next twenty minutes but truth be told, I didn't really listen. My Doretha did of course, listening and note taking on a notepad she apparently had with her. Myself, I'm too busy staring at the face I feared I'd never see again.

Finally the doctor leaves, telling me that I have to take three more days in hospital for checks before I can go home, and even then I'm on bed rest for a week or two. This fucking sucks.

"Hey baby." Doretha murmurs with a smile as she shifts uneasily on her seat. Chuckling weakly, I lift my arm out for her and shuffle over on the bed slightly.

"C'mere baby." I beg and I watch as Doretha's face lights up slightly at the promise of a hug. She carefully climbs onto the bed and snuggles closer to me but keeps about an inch of distract between us.

"Doretha, you're not going to break me if you touch me."

She sighs and bites her lip anxiously as she shuffled slightly closer to me. Her little head lays on my shoulder and I wrap my arm around me. Slowly, she lays her hand on my chest like we always did before the fight, the only problem is this time she lays her hand almost directly over my wound.

A hiss I try to hide escapes me and Doretha immediately flinches and backs away feverishly apologising to me.

"Doretha, get your cute little butt over here and give me a hug." I say firmly and point my finger to her little indent on the bed. She shakes her head and slips back onto the chair, tucking her feet underneath her. She looks so young and vulnerable, another bolt of pain hits my chest only this time it's not from a gun, it's guilt.

"Doretha please, I need you here with me."

As always with my stubborn woman, she flat out refuses to lay back in bed with me but she does compromise by sitting on the bed beside me. Close enough that I can lean my head against her body. It's enough for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Daddy!" Maddy cheers and claps her little feet as she tries desperately hard to to throw herself at me. I walk through the front door to our home and smile at my daughter, I wish I could pick her up but I know Doretha would kill me first.

Chris walks nearer to me and gently tugs the bouncing Maddy back into a hug. He kneels down and whispers something in her ear, her bouncing stops and she slowly pads towards me. She wraps her arms around my leg gingerly, once again I'm treated like fucking glass and I hate it.

"Hey Mads sweetheart," I lean down slightly and rub her hair playfully, "I missed you."

She looks up at me with a toothy grin and it takes all my willpower not to bend down and hold her to my chest like I want to. Doretha clears her throat and taps my shoulder firmly, I turn slowly and sheepishly. She points at me and then to the stairs, my head hangs but I agree that she's right. My chest is killing me and ironically I feel like I need to sleep for three more days.

I edge my way towards the stairs, it takes me such a long time to move at the moment. I hate feeling like a liability but... I do have a sexy nurse to take care of me.

"Ok kids, daddy is going to go upstairs now but you can come and visit him as long as you're quiet and careful."

Both children reply solemnly with a 'yes mummy' they sound both adorable and like little Victorian children. I never really noticed Dot's English accent, I'd spent so much time hearing Astrid's. But now I have a Doretha and two little English children. My house is over run with them now, and I love it!

I've finally reached the top of the stairs and I feel like I've just run a fucking marathon, god this is so embarrassing.

Doretha sighs from beside me and I almost jump out of my skin, I hadn't even heard her approach beside me.

"You'll get stronger soon baby, you just need to heal a little first."

Dejectedly I nod my head and lean slightly onto her as we walk towards our bedroom. She closes the door and helps me to get out of my horrible, gross T-shirt. I can't lift my hands above my head like that yet as I could tear my stitches but  I suppose there are worse things to happen after surgery than having your smoking hot woman undressing you.

"Caine baby, I'm so glad you're back home with me." She murmurs into my bare back, pressing a kiss to my shoulder blade. "Now let's get you to bed."

"Mmm yes nurse." I grin with a cheeky smile but instead of being met with a teasing smile, I see a firm stare as she taps her foot at me.

"Sorry nurse." I say with a mock salute before I limp over to the bed where the soft pillows are calling out to me.

Doretha helps me to lay down and then plumps my pillows giving me a lovely shot of her cleavage that definitely makes getting shot twice worth while.

A kiss is pressed to my forehead before I feel her lips tickling my ear.

"By the way, you calling me nurse is really getting me going." I raise my eyebrow in surprise at her dirty words. "The minute you're off bed rest I'm going to ride you so fucking hard..."

To say my jaw is on the floor would be the understatement of the fucking year. Groaning, I throw my head against the pillow.

"Baby, you're making bed rest sound fucking terrible right now."

She grins and flashes me a cheeky smile, she leans down and gives me one last chaste kiss to my lips.

"That'll give you some incentive to staying in bed and getting better."

This woman is a fucking genius and a minx. God I love her.