Doretha

Caine is on the last day of bed rest and to say he is cranky would be an understatement, he's not cranky with Maddy or Chris of course and only very slightly with me. He's flat out refused to let anyone from the club see him so reduced, not that I blame him. I'd hate for people to see me when I was at my lowest.

"Caine, baby, do you need anything else tonight?" I murmur as I stand beside our bed, I've been taking the sofa unknown to Caine. After that time when I hit his chest and caused him pain, I've been too afraid to sleep next to him.

"What I need, Doretha is for you to come here, and I mean that." He says rather forcefully and I blush, his dominating tone always gets to me.

I slide under the covers and lay on my side of the bed, I lock my muscles so that I don't move and try to close my eyes so I can at least feign sleep until he drops off. To my surprise I find myself being gently pulled over the bed until I'm pressed tight against Caine's hard body.

My eyes grow wide at his strength. "What are you doing! You could pull your stitches."

Caine rolls his eyes at me and squeezes my hip lightly. "Would you stop fussing woman, I'm off bed rest tomorrow. Shifting your little ass over the bed is not going to hurt me." He teases and I lay my head atop of his and give his forehead a light kiss.

"Mmm thank you baby." He snuggles into me closer and I almost cry with the relief of having him return to his playful and sarcastic self.

Just as I feel Caine's breathing getting deeper and heavy with sleep, Maddy's cries of fear call through the house. Even after Caine returned to the house her nightmares have not stopped, they still wake her three or four times. Luckily, Caine has been so deep asleep she hasn't disturbed his healing, not that it's her fault of course.

Instinctively, I shift my body to go to her cries, but a firm hand grips my hip to halt me.

"Let me."

"Nope," I shake my head and kiss his gently, "you need to rest."

I realise my mistake as soon as Caine stands from the bed, inadvertently taking me with him. With a shriek I fall back on the bed and Caine walks from the room with purpose, casting me a slight smirk as he leaves the room.

Sighting contentedly, I settle down under the covers. He's back and restored. My Caine is back.

When he reappears in the doorway after a few minutes of calming Maddy, I hold my arms out for him. The tears already spilling from the days of such pain and anguish. I bite my lip to try and stop them, not that it matters to hide them, Caine has already seen them.

"Baby..." he all but whimpers as the tears spill out over my cheeks and into my hands. He sits beside me and pulls me into his arms so quickly that I scarcely have time to make note of the fact I am now enveloped in his warmth.

I begin to hiccup slightly through my tears which makes us both chuckle slightly and causes Caine to shift our position so he's leaning against the headboard with me in his arms.

"I-I I'm sorry." I begin as the tears continue to spill, it's like a dam has broken in heart and now I need to let everything out.

Caine seems to instinctively understand, like always, as he doesn't speak. Instead he rocks me from side to side calmingly whilst breathing kind words and reassurance against the sensitive skin of my neck.

After a few moment, the tears run dry and I'm left lightly hiccuping with the odd left over tear falling onto my cheeks. Only then does Caine turn my body so I'm straddling him, looking deep into the eyes I can read like a book.

He collects the rivers of tears on his lips as he kisses away my pain.

"I'm sorry I nearly left you my darling, but I never would."

"I-I thought you you had gone. H-had left me."

The pain fires in my chest as I remember the loss and my words clutch and tighten in my throat. I nearly lost the only thing that kept me anchored to this Earth.

"I know, I heard you." He admits sombrely. "Every word. There were moments when I felt myself slipping away, but you always pulled me back."

I blink and swallow hard, I was his anchor as he was mine.

"You're my anchor too Caine."

He smiles and tips his head up slightly so he can capture my lips in a kiss expressing the words that neither of us can put into words. It's unlike any other kids I've had before, it's not leading anywhere. We sit there, woven in each other's arms and kiss lazily until sleep makes my eyes burn from the light.

Rolling off Caine, I flop down on my side and cuddling down in the blankets and soft mattress. After Caine's display of strength tonight, I know I can sleep safely next to him without worrying about hurting him.

I switch off the light on my side as Caine does the same on his side, I chuckle silently to myself. I never saw myself as becoming so domestic, and as for Caine... it's hard to believe that in just a few months of really knowing him we have saved each other.

The silence surrounding us is homely and safe and as I shuffle slightly nearer to him I know that he will never leave me like he just did. Maybe it's madness, maybe it's blind hope, I don't know which. But whatever the reason I'm happy to believe it tonight.

A/N

Hello my lovely readers,

I am aiming to finish this book by the end of the weekend as there are about four chapters left until Bolt's story begins!

As for the next few chapters, all of you will be pleased to know that it is mainly going to be fluff- think of them as bonus chapters as the story plan has ended so now I'm just going to enjoy letting the words take me somewhere for the remainder of this book.

As always, thank you for reading, voting and commenting it really means the world to me! Xx