Chapter Fourteen; Friends Make Things Better

This chapter takes place during the events of the last chapter.

*Peter's POV*

Since the incident in the laundry room, Peter had been on edge in the apartment with May. He wasn't scared of her, instead he was scared for her. And he didn't have anyone to talk about it with, afraid to mention it to May and worried that she might get in trouble if he tried to talk with anyone else. So he forced all the emotions down and tried his best to not think about it. All she took was sleeping pills (as far as he knew) and that wasn't terrible. Why should he be so worried?

And yet, MJ and Ned still picked up on his off behavior and attitude immediately. They didn't mention anything for about a week before they finally cornered him during lunch, looking worried but determined. "What's up, nerd? Something clearly isn't okay and I'm tired of waiting for you to come around and talk to us." She started, straight to the point.

  Not really contributing, but also not wanting to be left out, Ned nodded vigorously in agreement. He flashed Peter a rather concerned look, trying his bed to appear stoic like MJ could do easily but more or less looking like a nervous wreck. "We don't need details. Actually, we don't need to know anything. Just rant to us, okay? Use fake names if you want, anything that gets you talking."

  Peter looked away in embarrassment, this was some kind of intervention and he was not that fond of things like this. "Ned and I both know you have a lot building up on your shoulders and it's really not healthy to keep it all bottled up." With a sigh, Peter glanced back over to them and immediately regretted it. Both of his friends were staring at him with full concern, dripping with worry. And the guilt that made him feel nearly had him pushing his tray of food away.

  "Uh..." Peter ran his fingers through his hair and blew a cool breathe out of his mouth. "Guys... I'm not really good with stuff like this..." He mumbled awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck and cracking a nervous smile. "But... um... we can make a deal." MJ cocked an eyebrow, unimpressed.

  "Just... just listen, alright?" Peter continued, trying to ignore her searching gaze. "It's really hard to... to like... put everything I... uh, feel... into words." He mumbled while looking away, this was beyond embarrassing for him at this point. "But anything bad... er, how do I word this? Bad emotions I guess... um... I'll tell you two. I'll explain it the best way I can and I... I won't keep it all inside anymore." Peter said hesitantly, really not wanting to go along with this promise.

  Ned and MJ glanced at each other, clearly skeptical, but slowly nodded. "We're just really worried, Peter... it's scary when your friend isn't acting like themself." Ned spoke steadily, nodding as if to finalize his words. "But this... um, agreement? Yeah, this agreement is definitely better than none of us talking about stuff like... this." MJ rolled her eyes at his pathetic confidence and punched his shoulder playfully, but she also nodded.

  Peter let out a relieved sigh and thanked them, jumping as the lunch bell rang, signifying the end of their lunch break. They all hurried off to throw away their uneaten food and put their trays on the cart before rushing to their lockers to grab anything they might need for their next class.

*Peter's POV*

"Don't you boys go causing any trouble while I'm out." Auntie said warmly, smiling at them despite the small warning. "I'll be back in an hour with dinner." The door closed behind her with a click, signaling she had left.

Peter was on the floor in front of the couch, facing the television that was airing a cartoon while he was playing with his toys. Uncle Ben was on the couch, reading a newspaper but making sure to keep a close eye on the seven year old.