Varian and the Great Tree, pt. 6

This incredible fanart was done by @artist.geek555 on Instagram! This was one of my favorite scenes to write. 

Now on to the ANGST!

Trigger warnings: injuries, blood, bruises, attempted murder, panic attack, broken bones, falling from heights, possession by tree, more attempted murder a la vines, decay incantation, more falling from heights

--------------------------

Hector leaped from his perch to one of the trees on the platform below, Kiki and Ruddiger right behind him. As they dropped mostly noiselessly to the ground, the warrior intentionally slid his foot a bit to catch Varian's attention. Fortunately, Adira didn't notice, but his nephew turned to look. His eyes widened in surprise, but he wisely kept his head low so the others didn't notice. That's my boy. Hector motioned for him to drop back about three steps.

Varian lagged behind the others, dragging his feet as if reluctant to go with them. No surprise there. Adira and the man turned to look at him.

Then Hector threw his distraction. The small bag landed in the dirt just in front of Adira. Her head whipped around to see what it was.

And Hector made his move.

Leaping from his hiding place, he unsheathed his sword. He crossed behind Adira, slicing the lead rope and scooping up Varian in a single movement. His sister's blade swung around, slicing off the end of one of his braids and whistling dangerously close to the side of his face. Still carried by his forward momentum, he ducked the sword and rolled, letting his body take the brunt of the impact as he sheltered Varian. He flipped up and slid to a stop a few feet away from them, his nephew safely in his hold. Without hesitating, he set Varian on his feet and spun him behind him, placing himself in between the boy and his captors, sword at the ready.

His leg screamed in pain at the exertion. His head ached like it had been stepped on by Kubwa. The dust that had been flung in the air infiltrated his lungs. Setting his jaw, he opted to ignore his discomfort. It was worth it. Every ache and pain was worth it now that he could feel the shaking child huddled close behind him, hiding halfway under his cloak and clinging to him. Varian was scared but alive. His ragged breathing was music to Hector's ears.

The reaction from the others was immediate and explosive. Someone screamed. It might have been the princess or the old man. It was hard to tell. As one, they turned to see what had happened, drawing their weapons. The princess herself was armed with a frying pan and looked ready to use it, so she was more than likely not the screamer.

"Varian!" she cried in shock.

Adira leveled her blade at her brother's chest, though she was wise enough not to attempt to strike. "Let him go, Hector!" she snarled.

He couldn't help his eye roll. "Hey, sis? He's holding me." He could see her analyzing the situation, attempting to find a way to free Varian, and he could see the exact moment his words hit home.

The princess either didn't get it or didn't care. "Varian, get away from him! He's dangerous!"

Kiki had circled the group and come up behind Hector, ready to fight by his humans. Ruddiger, who had been sitting on his back, darted over and slipped up onto Varian's shoulders as the boy twisted his wrists out of the binding. "You're bleeding!" he exclaimed, looking slightly woozy.

Hector put a hand to his head, where the blood had dried and knotted his hair. He'd forgotten. "I'm fine. It's nothing."

The bald man's mouth dropped open as he started putting the pieces together. "Wait a minute! Do you two know each other?"