Growing Pains

Happy Easter/Resurrection Day for those who celebrate! If you don't, have a great day anyway!

FINAL CHAPTER!!! At long last, we made it! I apologize in advance; this one was supposed to be a normal-sized chapter, and instead it's THIRTEEN. THOUSAND. HECKIN. WORDS. But I didn't feel like splitting it, so... have it it.

Shout-out to batata_doce for helping me name the jerk guard!

Varian.hairstripe on Instagram made some AMAZING FANART!!! Wattpad isn't letting me link them here (not sure why), but please go check out their work on Insta and show some love!

----------------------

Sunlight glinted off metal armor, the rhythmic stamp of boots accompanying the thunder of hooves as the army slowly marched down the dusty road. Here and there, soldiers exchanged nervous glances and the occasional whisper. Breath fogged in the crisp morning air even as sweat beaded at every brow from the long trek.

Three hundred men had been called to arms earlier that morning, no one quite sure why. The only information they were given was that there was a threat in Old Corona. Not a soul in the entire battalion was unaware of the circumstances of the last battle in the same town. Some of the soldiers looked far too excited to return.

Very rarely were they called out in such a great number without being told what they were facing. Even less often did the king himself come with them. Whatever this threat was, it was unlike anything they typically faced.

Old Corona was a hollow wreck, the black rocks laying flat against the ground where they'd moved when the princess was summoned away. In their absence, the houses they'd pierced through had fallen to bits, littering the ground with the remnants of once-warm homes. At the far end of the village, the broken manor house that had once belonged to Quirin stood vast and cold, a ghost of a memory lingering around its walls and windows. This was where it had all happened, though from the outside it seemed just another building ravaged by time and nature and the rocks that spared no one and nothing.

The battalion stopped several hundred yards in front of the manor. No one spoke, and only a few dared to breathe in the oppressive silence. The king moved to the front of the army, turning to face them. Astride his horse and dressed in armor—another rare occurrence—he surveyed the men in front of him with a critical eye. "One year ago," he began, his voice carrying over the crowd so all could hear, "Our kingdom came under attack from an alchemist. The strength of our people and the courage of Princess Rapunzel succeeded in subduing this threat. But some months ago, this alchemist broke out of prison and escaped. Now he has returned, and his presence is a danger to our homeland. Today, we retake our old enemy and spare this kingdom from his villainy!"

A cheer rose up from the assembled soldiers. Not a three-hundred-strong cheer.

"We have seen what this enemy can do," Frederic continued. "And we know he is not alone. Prepare yourselves. Whoever brings me the alchemist alive will be greatly rewarded. If anyone stands in your way, cut them down. For Corona!"

"For Corona!" the echoing shout rang off the stones and bricks.

Then the army began their slow march forward again.

O‴O‴O‴

"Ready?"

Varian adjusted his gloves one last time. On his shoulder, Ruddiger chittered in affirmation. "We're ready. You?"

Hector grinned. "We're all set. Quirin, you'll take point?"

"I've got it."

"So... how exactly does this help?" Varian asked. Far be it from him to question the strategies of professional soldiers, but they were outnumbered about seventy-five to four. One hundred to three, if he didn't count himself; his training with Hector hadn't prepared him to face an army. And while he'd seen what the Brotherhood was capable of, the numbers were still daunting. The plan was to get out without a fight, Quirin had told him, but the chances of that were slim.