What Once Was Mine, pt. 1

The fantastical artwork above belongs to @wallywestfest on Tumblr!

Trigger warnings: non-consensual memory erasure, scars, panic attack, attempted murder

-------------------------

Someone was yelling. Actually, several someones. He blinked in confusion and looked up at the mid-afternoon sky, squinting in the bright light. Where was he? Hadn't he been inside just a few minutes ago?

A shadow crossed his eyes, and he caught sight of a fuzzy face an inch from his own. He gasped and pushed himself to a seated position, looking around in confusion. The creature fell from his chest with a startled squeak.

"Varian!"

He yelped in surprise and jumped back from the figure at his side. Others stood nearby, watching him with varied looks of concern. He whipped his head around, trying to understand the situation. Why were they all staring at him?

And who were they?

"Little guy! Speak to us! Don't go into the light!" a bald man exclaimed in distress.

"Lance, he's not dying," a pale woman grumbled.

"Varian, talk to me. You okay?" The man next to him hovered anxiously.

"Umm..." He stumbled to his feet. The man reached out a hand to steady him. "What's going on? Who are you people?"

"What?" A tall woman, her long hair twisted up into an elaborate braid with gold bands, asked. "Varian, it's us."

"He can't remember," another woman said. She, too, had long hair, though hers was golden and in a simpler braid adorned with flowers. "The wand. He literally doesn't remember."

"I'm sorry, have we met?" His eyes widened. Long, golden hair in a braid, trailing down to her ankles... he knew her! "Forgive my bad manners, your highness!" He knelt politely.

Her mouth dropped in a surprised O. "Varian, that's... you don't have to do that. You recognize me?"

"Uh, how could I not? I mean, look at your hair!" He couldn't believe it! The actual Princess Rapunzel of Corona was here! Talking to him! And she knew his name?! He jumped up and bounced on the balls of his feet excitedly.

"You know, didn't you say that's what he said the first time you two met?" a brunet man noted. Varian gasped as a name sprang up to match the face.

"Hey! You're Flynn Rider!" He darted in a circle around the man. "I recognize you from your wanted posters! You know, they really don't do your nose justice."

"I've been saying that for years!" Flynn Rider threw his hands up in frustration. "I mean, how hard is it—wait a minute, off topic. That's just a pseudonym."

"I've read every book about you!"

"Again. Not my name. It's Eugene."

"Eugene?" He looked the man over curiously. "Okay. Eugene. Nice to meet you! I'm Varian!" He started walking again, not seeing the broken board by his feet until he tripped over it. The man who had been next to him when he woke up reached out and snagged him as he fell. 'Oh, thanks! You're quick. Wh—wait..." His hand came up to his face. "My—my eye! I can't see! What—"

"Easy, kid," the man said, kneeling down to be on eye level. "Stay calm."

"STAY CALM I CAN'T SEE OUT OF MY EYE!" His breathing quickened. "What—why?" He pawed at his face as if he could remove whatever was blocking it. "No!"

"Varian." The man gently grabbed his wrists with one hand, pulling them down away from his face, taking his face in his other hand and turning him to look at him. His eyes were a piercing yellow. "Stay. Calm. You'll be okay. We can explain." He turned back to the others. "One of you explain. What the crap happened?"