Prologue - Pt. 1

Gwen's POV

I've been locked away my whole life. When I was born, my dad decided to keep me a secret for my safety. I've been homeschooled my entire life and I only have one friend, Maya. We met at the park when we were seven. Today seems like every other day. School from F.R.I.D.A.Y., training, homework, chores, dinner, sleep. Same routine every day. But today felt different and I couldn't understand why. I decided to brush it off, thinking it was from all the commotion of the new contract Dad's trying to get the team to sign. As I'm finishing up homework, I hear the sound of the handprint scan by my door and my father steps in. My room is handprint-access-only "for my safety". I thought it was a bit overkill since no one else knows I exist, but no one could sway Tony Stark.

"Hey, Guppy." he says, sitting down on my bed. My dad's been calling me Guppy for as long as I could remember. Apparently, I was swimming at, like, 5 months old.

 Apparently, I was swimming at, like, 5 months old

 "Hey, Dad."

"Doing homework?" 

"Yes." I say with an exasperated sigh. 

"Listen, I need to talk to you." 

"Is everything okay?" I turn my chair in his direction. He lets out a sigh. 

"Not really." He pauses. "Remember how I told you that Steve didn't want to sign that document but it was really the only plausible choice?" 

"Yeah...?" 

"Well...that's not the only issue anymore. He's now trying to protect this Hydra soldier with a metal arm who supposedly was his friend in the 1930s." I squint my eyes. 

"How is that even possible?" 

"I don't know. And I really don't care. The point is, this guy is dangerous but Steve can't seem to realize that. Apparently, they're heading to this airport in Germany to try an escape. And we need to be there when they do." I raise an eyebrow. 

"We?" 

"Yes, we. I need you to help us...with your powers." I was born with the powers of telekinesis, mind reading, and a force field. My dad has had me train to control them but he's never let me put them to good use. And now that he wants me to, I'm not so sure. 

"You're not saying what I think you're saying." He nods his head. I stand up in shock. "No way!" 

"Now, hang on-" 

"Nonono, there's no way! I mean, yeah, I've dreamed for the moment that I get to do this, but I'm not really ready!" 

"Of course you are!" 

"Then why haven't you used me before?" He lets out a sigh and stands up. 

"For your safety, you know that." 

"So what's the difference now?" 

"Now I need you." I exhale. "They got more people, kid. We can't do this without you."