Chapter Seven: The Academic Decathlon

Gwen's POV

We finally get to the hotel and me and Maya are roomed together. 

"So what's the deal with Parker? I thought he said he was too busy to be on the team

"So what's the deal with Parker? I thought he said he was too busy to be on the team." Maya asks, unpacking her suitcase. I sit on the bed and sigh. 

"I don't know but I'm thinking it has to do with those guys with the big guns." Maya looks over at me on my laptop. 

"What are you doing?" 

"Hacking Ned's computer. I can tell Ned knows about Peter being Spider-Man. Plus, Ned's a real tech guy, so he's helping him with something." 

"You're hacking Ned's laptop?" Maya looks at me with her hands on her hips. I look up at her. 

"I'm observing." 

"I bet you that's still illegal." she says, turning back to her suitcase. 

"Yeah, and I bet you what they're doing is illegal too." I find Ned's computer. "Yep, he's online. Let's see what you're up to." Ned's screen pops up and I see that he's hacking into something. 

"What's he doing?" Maya comes up and sits next to me on my bed. 

"He's hacking something, but I don't know what." I say, still searching. 

"What does that say?" Maya says, pointing to the green title that just popped up. She gets closer to the computer. "'Spider-Man Suit Subsystems'" Maya and I look at each other. 

"They're hacking into Peter's suit?" 

"Yeah, but what for?" Maya says, peering over my shoulder for a closer look. Another title appears. 'Tracker removed.' My eyes go wide. "He took the tracker out of his suit!" 

"Peter, what are you up to?" I say, shaking my head. "There's a ton of other sub-systems in here. But they're all disabled by the..." I look closer. "Training Wheels Protocol." Maya and I stifle a laugh. 

"Hey, how much you wanna bet your dad put the same thing in your suit?" I frown and turn to Maya. 

"Nuh-uh." 

"Uh, yuh-huh." 

"But I have way more training than Peter." I say, brushing off her comment. I turn back to the computer and see the Training Wheels Protocol from Active to Inactive. "What just happened?" 

"I think he just turned it off." I sigh. 

"Peter, you idiot." Maya smiles at me. "What?" 

"Wanna see if your suit has a Training Wheels Protocol for us to turn off?" I almost shut her down but stop myself. 

"I brought my suit." Maya's smile gets bigger and she runs over to my bag to grab it. 

"Yep. There it is. Training Wheels Protocol." Maya says pointing to the screen.