°°°°Chapter Four°°°°

Chapter Four

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Cody woke screaming in terror and thought that her hands were still covered in Frodo's blood. She wiped them on her bed hoping to get rid of the red liquid but it seemed to be stuck to her. She looked down at them and instantly started crying in relief. It was her fault that Frodo almost died she told herself. She might as well have stabbed him herself like in her dream.

She laid there in bed for several hours sobbing. She couldn't bring herself to get out of bed and face Frodo. Finally, she slowly inched off the covers and slipped her feet out of bed. She crawled to her closet and pushed aside all the beautiful dresses Naomi had hung up for her. In the back of the closet behind all of the gowns laid her father's clothes. She cradled the clothing in her arms and tried to remember her parents. No matter how hard she tried she could not remember them.

After much thinking she changed into the traveling clothes, strapped her sword to her side and left the room. On her way out she bumped into Naomi who was carrying a tray of food. Cody grabbed a piece of bread, called out a greeting to the elf girl and then continued on her way. She then made her way to the tailor to get fitted for clothing that would fit her.

When she walked in she was greeted by bustling elf women carrying piles of fabrics and sewing equipment. She stood in the doorway for several minutes not knowing what to do. Soon an elf with brown hair noticed her and walked over.

"Hello miss Proudfoot, how may I help you?" he asked.

"I need new traveling clothes, preferably clothes that are similar to the ones I am wearing."

"I'm guessing you don't want them baggy no?" he chuckled.

"That would be great if they would fit me." she said laughing as well.

The elf had her stand on a small wooden stool and began measuring her. When she was finished she thanked the elf and decided she would explore Rivendell before she had to meet Legolas.

She walked through the stone corridors with an awed expression on her face the whole time. The walls and windows were beautifully crafted and were like Cody's dreams had come to life. As she was walking she wasn't paying attention to where she was going and ran head long into someone. Books and papers crashed to the floor and the papers lazily floated to the ground.

"I am so sorry." Cody blurted. She bent down to pick up the books and loose leaf papers with out even seeing who she had bumped into. When she stood up she screamed at the top of her lungs.

"Merry!" She embraced him in a hug and caused the books to fall again. Merry hugged her back but he didn't seem himself. "Are you okay?" she asked when she drew away from him.

"I'm perfectly fine." he moaned.

"Are you sure you sound like you're in pain."

"Because I am." he looked down and she followed his gaze. In the process of her hug she had dropped a book on one of his feet.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine."

"You can use my crutches if you want." she said holding out her wooden crutches. "I'm strong enough that I really don't need them anymore."

Merry gratefully accepted her crutches and they walked down the magnificent halls while she held his books and papers.

"I'm sorry about not visiting you when you had to stay in bed."

"It's okay, you don't need to apologies."

"But I do. I didn't want to see you like that and I just couldn't bring myself to come and see you."

Cody didn't know what to say so they continued on in silence. The only noises were of Cody's feet and the wooden crutches against the stone floors. They walked for about ten minutes when, finally, Merry said, "I have to go I need to return these books."

"It was nice seeing you Merry." she said as they traded the books and crutches.

"Goodbye Cody, I hope I will see you again." and with that he went in the opposite direction that Cody was going in.

'Don't worry, you will see me whether you like it or not. Actually, whether Frodo likes it or not.'

She shrugged and then continued on her way. In the distance she heard the deep tolling of a clock.

"One, two." she counted under her breath, and then the clock went silent. "Oh no, I'm late!" She ran as fast as she could with her crutches towards the stables.

When she could smell the horses she stopped and tried to control her breathing. She then ran once again down the hill and into the barn. When she entered through the large doors she was welcomed by the soft nickers of many horses in their stalls. Legolas was standing at the other end of the barn watching another rider ride her black stallion in the arena.

She slowly padded up to him on silent feet and said, "Sorry I'm late."

"That's quite alright, Cameliia is still working Vaaz."

Small obstacles were set up in the arena and were at least four feet off the ground. Cameliia was riding with out a bridel and a saddle and when she went over one of the jumps Cody was certain that she would slip off. The rider grabbed a fist full of mane and dug her heals into the horse's side. The black stallion soared over the jump and when he landed the elf girl gave out a whoop of celebration. Cody and Legolas cheered as she brought the horse down to a walk and dismounted while he was still going.

She looked over at Legolas and she gave him a small smile. Cody looked up at him and he too was smiling. He watched her as she led her horse to the other wing of the barn until she disappeared. Still, he was looking in that direction and Cody finally had to pull his sleeve.

"So, are you going to teach me how to ride or what Lover Boy?"

Legolas shook his and then looked down at her and asked, "What did you call me?"

"Um, nothing." she replied very quickly. "So, what horse am I riding?" she asked trying to change the subject.

"First of all you are not going to ride a horse."

"But-"

"Yet. To start off with you are going to learn how to ride a pony. Come with me."

Legolas went down a small hallway that branched off of the main aisle. When they made it through they were in a much smaller place with smaller stalls. Legolas led her all the way to the last stall and then waited for her to catch up.

"Cody, may I introduce you too Phillip."