One - Nova Starr

1st October 3018. Monday morning. 8:50 AM.

I turned on the lights in my room and looked out at the city before me. All the other morning lights were just beginning to be flicked on. There were only a few people around outside. This was my favourite time of day.

The space city that I come from is Endus, one of the three Capital cities.

I've never really liked Endus, it's the poorest of the capitals and I live in one of the smaller districts there

I've never really liked Endus, it's the poorest of the capitals and I live in one of the smaller districts there. In all my 18 years of living here, the only thing I like is the library. Endus has never felt like home to me. 'Home is a person, not a place'. My mother used to say that to me. She used to be my home.

Each Capital has a 'planet' that it 'rules'. That's the technical terms for it but really it's just a way for greedy Generals and Marshals to take more land and have more power. Plus nobody in the past 400 years has used the word planet, it's so outdated. Everyone just says base. Our base is Ersa, she's small but our Marshal doesn't care much for bases.

I was on my way to the Library as it was the only thing I could think of to occupy my time. It was a cold day and I was only wearing a green bodysuit with my camo cargo trousers. I loved dressing like a voyager; it made me feel powerful and strong. A long time ago, people had to wear these suits everywhere they went, but that was before the chip. The chip tells you everything you need to know and also let's us adapt to space's oxygen levels. Thank god because you wouldn't see me dead wearing one of those old white suits, they look hideous.

The chip is something everyone is given when they are born. It a crucial part of life and without it you probably wouldn't be able to live. It tells you the time, space climate and other important everyday things. Its a minuscule blue card injected on the inside of your wrist. It's put there to make things easier to scan and unlock things. Your chip unlocks your home and spaceship if you're lucky enough to have one.

It was 9:30AM by the time i was up and ready. The elders used to tell stories that have been passed down for generations about an 'Earth where you were surrounded by light in the day'. Some people still think we can go back there. I think it's false hope; if we were able to go back we would've been there by now.

I walked into the library. My favourite smell of paper, ink and new books hit me. If my home is a place, this is it. I walked through to the back of the library and into my usual chair. Aura, the librarian here and really my only friend, let me keep the book I was reading on the table next to me. I picked it up and flipped to where my bookmark was. The small bit of light from my lamp lit up my pages. Aura came and dropped off a cup of tea for me and I thanked her. I helped her stack away some books and organise shelves and then headed out to get some breakfast.

I was in our districts small centre when I see Roy Kerensky and some of his friends together at one of the docking stations. He used to be in the same class as me, but he finished academics 2 years early only because his father is a high ranking general. He wasn't even smart. I hated him, he made my insides just crawl. He was a pompous twit and I didn't know what he was doing in my district, but it couldn't be good. I tried to pick up my pace and walk past him without any confrontation.

Roy was short for a boy, I was almost taller than him. He had short cropped hair and always walked around like if it wasn't for h you wouldn't be here. He made you feel like that too. As if he does all the hard work around here! I barely see him lift a finger and he expects me to test him like a god? I don't think so. Everything about him was so annoying, from his straight white teeth to his perfectly polished shoes. He made me angry. He had no idea what it was like to struggle. He has had everything handed to him on a golden plate. It's pathetic, and so is he.

"Hey! You're seriously gonna walk by an old friend and not say hi?" I honestly would like to fall off this city right now. I chose to ignore his comment and keep walking, but I feel him walking after me.

"What? What do you want?" I turn around to him and say.
"Just want a catch up with and old friend Nova, is that so bad?"
"We both know that I'm not and 'old friend' so can you just leave alone? And what are you even doing in my district? Shouldn't you be over in yours, I'm sure this area is much too poor for you." I didn't want to be talking to him any longer than needed and I didn't want to have to wait around to hear what he was saying.

"Well, actually your docking station is the only one without cameras and me and my buddy's over here want to take the ship out. But sadly my chip won't open your pathetic ship so imma need you to come with us and open it." He was standing with two other boys. I recognised them from when we went to school. Cole and Lunis. Yeah. I think that's their names. They were both idiots as well if I remember correctly.

"Kerensky, we both know that's not gonna happen, there's no way in hell I'm gonna help you steal a spaceship."
"I'm not asking, Starr"
"Neither am I." I turn around and walk away, but I know the relentless twit won't let up that easily.

"Don't walk away from me, do you not know how powerful my family is? One word from me and my father will have you hunted and killed."
Why is this trip so important that he needed to threaten my life to help him? I knew it was much harder to do that then what he's making it seem but I don't really like the idea of dying at such a you age. I haven't even explored the galaxy much. The thought still made a shiver run down my spine. Generals were extremely powerful.

"What do I get out of it if I help you?"
"Quality time with me, of course."
"I'll pass. Unless you can offer me something worthwhile, I'm not giving you any help." I turn and start walking quickly away. I think he's given up, but he did make me curious. Why would he need to go to a dock without cameras and ask for my help? What was so important that it needed to be kept so secret? Why didn't he just ask his father?

"Wait," he said, sounding desperate. "I'll give you a ticket."
"You're joking." Tickets meant that you could explore the galaxy whenever you wanted, you didn't need permission to get on a ship. Only voyagers and the rich had them, not people like me.
"Here, take mine. It's not like I need it anyway, people know who I am and let me on."
"I don't trust you."
"Please, I just - I really need your help." He said this quietly.
"Fine" I take the ticket out of his hand and tuck it safely into my zipped pocket. I walk up to the ship and press the scanner.