Ten - Arrow

Terran turned the engine on and I braced myself for takeoff. I've never really been a huge fan of heights. I think it's because you never truly know what's there. I thought maybe getting a job that requires being in a ship would help but it somehow only made the fear more prominent. Now it's just something I have no choice but to deal with, and I manage. 

The engine roared up and we were in the air. It felt foreign and weird being in someone else's ship. I missed the homey feeling of Pluto and just wanted to relax with her and Atlas. I'd have her back soon enough though, I could wait a few weeks. In the meantime I'd have to buddy up with someone else for voyages, or I wasn't getting paid. 

I decided to stay in the cockpit with Terran. He was asking questions about her, like how she'd gotten onto my ship? What she was doing before? They were simple to answer. "What is she gonna do when we get back to Cobo?" I didn't know how to answer this because honestly, I didn't know. I'd let her stay with me for a day or so while she figured things out, if that's what she wanted.

 It annoyed me that Nova was snooping around in my stuff, not that I've got anything to hide. I just wish she would've asked, I would've showed her the maps. They're not really that interesting anyway. But then again, I get hundreds of different maps and plans every month so maybe I'm just tired of seeing them. I was pretty sure she was sitting in the next room with Atlas but she was being really quiet. I stood up and told Terran I was gonna grab some snacks from the cupboard. I walked through and saw Nova. She was curled up on the sofa with Atlas. She had a pack of half eaten nuts next to her and a few books which I presume she wanted to read. I didn't want to disturb her so I grabbed a snack for me and Terran to share and left.

Me and Terran sat in the cockpit for a couple hours talking about our most recent trip and what happened at the crash. I had missed him a lot more than I thought. Terran was a tad smaller than me but still tall. He had dark tanned skin with brown eyes and these really long eyelashes that i was extremely jealous of. He was pretty muscular and had two full sleeves of tattoos that made him look like a bad boy. I'm pretty sure that's how he pulls all the girls. He has been my closest friend since we were kids and as much as I say I like doing this job alone, I could never do it without him. We joined at the same time, as soon as we left school. We went on ur first adventure together, to Zion. We had explored countless planets and cities and drank from so many bars that we had acquired quite a good taste for alcohol. We talked for ages, about all our adventures and past memories. Nova came into the room and joined in on the conversations. We were all laughing and sharing jokes together to pass the time. 

Eventually Terran said he was ready to sleep. He headed to his bedroom. "I'm not giving up my bed for nobody, sorry guys" he said as he gave Nova and me a hug and said goodnight. Terran said I could share with him for the night. He made sure that Nova's spot on the sofa was comfortable with loads of fluffy cushions and blankets. I tod Terran I'd be there in a minute. 

Nova settled down into her cosy little makeshift bed on the sofa. "I think it's only fair that I get to steal Atlas for the night."

"Of course, he's all yours." I said with a smile. She smiled back and made a little room for me to lay next to her for a minute. It was a little squishy, but nice. "What is your plan when we get there?" 

"To be honest, I'm not sure." she said with a heavy sigh. "I'm going to a city I've never been to before where I don't know anyone, with strangers I just met. I have no idea what to expect, or even what I'm doing. I just think- I have this little feeling that this is what I need to do." She turned to face me as she finished her little rant, looking for me to say something but I didn't know what to. She was right, she was going put on a spontaneous whim heading to a brand new city and we barely knew each other. But for some reason, I feel more comfortable with her than I have ever really felt with anyone. 

Maybe it was just the heat of the moment, or maybe it was her that drew me in but something compelled me to say "Stay with me". She looked at me with big green eyes and a little smile growing across her face. "Just stay with me, at least until you get things figured out. Or maybe after then, I don't know. What I do know is when we wake up we'll be less than an hour away from Cobo, a city that you've never been to and I call home. So stay with me and let me show you around, take you to all my favourite places and show you the best restaurants. We can go on adventures together and I can show you what my life is like. If you get to Cobo and find your on way, then that's okay. But I feel some way around you that I can't really explain, like how I feel about Atlas and Pluto, like your a safe place or home. Yeah we haven't known each other that long but if you just give it some time, maybe you'll understand what I mean". 

I didn't know why I just said that but I'm glad I did. I didn't wan to lose the one chance I had. She kept gazing at me until eventually she pushed up closer to me and wrapped herself around me. She nuzzled her face into my chest as I heard her whisper goodnight.