Saturday morning I woke up early to get ready for Mary's arrival. Ivy was rushing around me putting out flowers she got this morning, putting them on the counter, changing her mind and moving them again. She kept telling me she wasn't nervous and then she would disappear and come back with a new outfit. The yellow ribbon always remained in her hair with every new outfit. She had not changed her ribbon all week, which confused me, but also made me smile when I saw it.
Mary arrived a few hours after we made the pastries. Ivy had set them out on the counter, but changed her mind, and moved them to the table. Mary had come in and hugged me and then moved to Ivy. Ivy was instantly calmed. They talked a bit while I got ready. The competition was in about two hours, but it took forty five minutes to get there, and we had to do my hair and makeup there. We also had to run the dance. Jasmine asked to ride with us so we had to get her as well. I let Mary drive, and I sat in the front with her. Ivy knew Jasmine was coming, and she was silent the whole ride over to her house, unless Mary said something to her.

Jasmine got in the car and immediately started rambling. She kept talking for about twenty minutes. Ivy eventually interrupted her and asked me if I was ready or if I wanted to run the dance with her when I got there.
¨Well, I was hoping she would run it with me, since we're on the team.¨
¨You have different solos, Jasmine, I was only trying to help. L, would you like to run your dance with me?¨
¨Yes, thank you, V.¨

Jasmine was silent the rest of the way. Mary had given me a look after the exchange between the three of us. The same smile from earlier, the one that said so much, but also told me nothing. But there was also a new look. An underlying look. One that was showing concern, although I wasn't sure why she would be concerned. When we pulled in the parking lot Ivy spoke once more and asked who would be doing my hair and makeup and if they had anyone to do so. I reminded her I had a cosmetology license and was qualified to do it myself, but I said I would need a bit of help from her. Jasmine spoke up and asked if I would have time to do her hair as well. Mary volunteered before I could respond, and we got that settled.

We walked into our dressing room, and got set up. I started curling my hair before doing the updo, and Jasmine was changing into her costume. She was doing a contemporary routine, and her costume was a black leotard, with a few orange pieces hanging off to seem flowy. We swapped places when I finished my hair and makeup, and I tried on my costume next. It was a long white gown with an end that looked like it had just been dipped in red, it was that vivid. My routine was lyrical piece, and it was on the darker side. The story behind it was that of a girl in an abusive relationship, that she tried to run from. In the end I'm supposed to lay down like I hadn't made it. It was going to be challenging, but I was given this routine because I was told I had the best acting skills.

We were called backstage, to the wings. I hugged Mary and Ivy and they wished us both good luck, and we walked off with the crew member. I knew Jasmine was to perform ahead of me. I wished her good luck as she walked out. I watched her and I saw a few missed marks, but I thought she did well enough to place in the top five. When she walked out she told me how exciting it was. As I was being called out, she grabbed my hand and pulled me into a quick hug.

My entrance was meant to be a part of the dance. I was walking and looking around me as if I were scared someone was following me. I got in my starting position, found Ivy, and just moved with the music. I was scared I would focus too much on my facial expressions and forget the choreography, but looking into her eyes, I knew I would do fine. She watched me with veneration, and her eyebrows furrowed. I saw the blue of the ocean start to fill the bottom of her green eyes. I layed in my final position for a second, before getting up and walking off. I was to walk off as if I was realizing I was free. It was a big cost to be free, but the woman I was portraying would do whatever it took.

We went back to the dressing room to change for awards. They weren't for another hour, but we were to change so we wouldn't have to come back. Ivy found me and jumped on me and kept repeating how good I did. She found Jasmine and told her she did really well, and we left the dressing room all talking about her dance. We had to sit in our team row to watch the rest of our girls before awards. I knew a few in my division would be a fierce competitor, but with Ivy next to me remaining impassive on all of them, I knew I had a fair chance.

Time for awards came and me and Jasmine walked to the stage to sit with our team. We went through the younger divisions, before getting to ours. They announced the bottom of the top ten, and when they got to the top five I had become a nervous wreck. I was watching Mary and she kept smiling at me, but I wasn't so sure I had done my best anymore. I looked at her a beat longer, before realizing she and Ivy were holding hands. They were nervous for us as well. They announced fifth. Jasmine got fourth. They announced third. One of our girls got second. They announced first. I was watching Ivy, holding my stare. She jumped up to clap and scream. I had won. I accepted my plaque, and went to sit down. They had a few more divisions, and then we were dismissed. Mary came up to me and said how proud she was of me. She said Grandad would've loved it too. She went to hug Jasmine and congratulate her. Jasmine was happy with her place, and happy for me too. Ivy even hugged her and praised her for the win. Ivy and I had gone to take down my hair and take off the makeup. I went to change before we left. I noticed Ivy had the yellow and white ribbons in her hair. She hugged one last time before taking my wrist and putting the white one on me. She kissed the knot she had tied in it, and we walked back to where Mary and Jasmine stood.