Chapter 28

Time hasn't stood still since the moment we arrived back from our honeymoon. It seemed that I had even less time to myself now. I had a lot of new skills and responsibilities to brush up on in order to for fill my duty as the future queen , but with my coronation ceremony quickly approaching in two days , I don't know if I'll ever be ready.

"You're ready, trust me. If I didn't think you'll be an outstanding queen , we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. So stop overthinking it and go to your final dress fitting." Rysand encouraged - almost as if reading my mind- as he placed a kiss to my head before leaving me to my thoughts. I guess in a lot of ways I was more nervous than scared. Nervous that I would fail at something as important as this , nervous that...I would disappoint Rysand and his people. I mean , he's trusting their lives and the future of this kingdom to me. Someone who's completely illiterate and unaccustomed , not even to mention inexperienced. In my eyes , a lot could go wrong and as much as I love Rysand - until death do us apart- I don't want to be the reason his kingdom diminishes and seem almost subordinate , I just want to do what is right. For me , my son , Rysand , his people and even this kingdom. I just don't want to fail before I've been given the proper chance.

"Remind me again what I should do ." I whispered - linking my arm with Rysand- as we descended the stairs seeing the Throne room filled with people in fancy suits and beautiful gowns.

"Just listen and when I address you , all you have to do is repeat after me. It's simple baby , just don't overthink it. " Rysand answered back with a smile - placing a kiss to my hand - as we walked up the podium facing everyone. I'm not even going to deny the feeling of overwhelmed pressure I was feeling when all eyes fell on me. Suddenly it was like I was the most important person in the room , and that alone gave me a gut wrenching feeling of all the expectations I was suddenly under.

Taking a deep breath , I stood facing the crowd as I listened to Rysand talk about all the rules , responsibilities and - even more daunting- the assurances that was expected of me . I listened to him talk about everything in such an important way , seemingly easy to him . He knew what he was talking about , this is how he grew up , he's been through all of this. But to someone completely new to this like me, it didn't sound as easy as he made it out to be. As he finished reciting my obligations all eyes fell on me once again as I could tell this next part was the part I have been dreading the most these last couple of weeks. What if I said it wrong ? Or forgot a word ? What if I mispronounced something and made myself seem inadequate to rule ? Yet , the moment Rysand stepped out from behind me and stood next to me - looking deep into my eyes - I could tell that he was trying to tell me to ; take a breath and be calm. He knew exactly how easily I could overthink even the littlest things. But I knew this was something I needed to do to prove myself. Not only for Rysand , this kingdom and his people , but also for Evander and myself. I had to be the example everyone was wishing me to be , and I was intending on doing exactly that.

"Repeat after me ; I , Avalon Maree Artino solemnly swear to uphold the values , beliefs , history and customs of Wedlyn . Protecting it and it's people from harm , misfortune and inexplicable conduct and affairs. I promise to uphold what is right and just not only for this kingdom but to my people . I promise to stand by my kingdom no matter the outcome, for I will gladly lay down my life for my people. These things which I have here promised, I will perform and keep . gia pánta "

After I've finished repeating everything back to Rysand , I could see how much this meant to him and how proud it made him. I could tell that this was definitely something bigger and far beyond myself . As he handed me the sceptre and lowered the crown unto my head , I held my breath as he announced me queen of Wedlyn making everyone bow their heads in respect of my new status. It was a strange feeling having all of this new power and authority - it was certainly scary - but for Rysand , I will do just about anything and everything to see him smile.

"You did great." Rysand complimented as he placed a kiss to my cheek " I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you, I just hope I will keep on making you and everyone proud." I said with a confident smile as I took a champagne flute from one of the passing trays.

"I can assure you , you already have and will continue to surpass all of my expectations."

"Can I ask you something ? "

"Of course."

"What does gi...giapa-"

"gia pánta ?" Rysand clarified with a small smile, trying really hard not to laugh at my poor attempt of pronunciation .

"Yeah. What does it mean ? " I asked curious.

"Well , it's Greek .I assume you knew I come from a long line of Greek royalties right ?"

"uh...sure." I admitted sheepishly as he only smiled knowing full well I had no clue.

"Well I do. And in Greek it means ; Forevermore. Meaning ; You will forevermore uphold these things. " He explained.

"Oh. well , it's beautiful . "

"Thank you , it's been a tradition in our family for hundreds of years ; that at every coronation ceremony we would remember our own heritage and where we came from. That's why it's important to be reminded of our history and that , my sweet Avalon is why we always end a ceremony with Greek lineage . "

"Well I think it's wonderful, and I can't wait to learn more about our history and customs. " I said with a smile before we joined everyone in conversation.

The rest of the night was spent talking to a lot of important people , introducing myself , everyone congratulating me. It was a foreign feeling, but a good feeling. I don't even know why I was so nervous about tonight in the first place. Everything went well and turned out the way it was supposed to. The only thing I could do now , is the next right thing and take it from there. One step at a time.

That's it ! Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time , keep howling my wolves. ❤🐺