Chapter 2

I blinked my eyes as I saw him stare at me with confusion.

"Of course. It would be an honour." I said taking a sip from my tea to avoid any more awkwardness.

"It's not set in stone yet. I still have a few more questions. " he said giving a light hearted chuckle  , taking a binder from his side.

"Of course." I said promptly, tucking my hair neatly behind my ear.

"When was your last period and how long does your cycle last ?" The lump returned to my throat as I'm sure I seemed bewildered and taken off gaurd by his question as his next words were ; "it's to determine your ovulation phase."

"Of course." I answered swiftly "about a week ago , 32 days on average. " I said watching him dot it down on a piece of paper.

"When did you last have intercourse?" Now that was a question that made a tint of red appear on my cheeks and made me unknowingly bite my bottom lip.

"I've... never had intercourse before." I replied softly dropping my gaze to my lap .

"Great. Makes things a little easier." I heard him say as I lift my head back up.

"Any family medical history I should be aware of ?"

"Uh... none that I know of. I'm as fit as a fiddle." I said trying to crack a smile and ease the tension in the room.

"I know you are " he said amused " I meant on your parent's side?" Once again I found myself at a loss for words , but I guess if I was going to do this I had to be open and honest about everything. Even the things I didn't dare speak about.

" I wouldn't know. I... was abandoned as a baby. " I said with great difficulty as I watched him look pained before writing it down. The rest of the questions were a lot easier to answer and by the end of the very thorough interview, I still didn't know where I stood in all of this.

"I'll be in touch. " he said with a smile before walking out. I stared longingly behind him , this whole experience feeling like a dream or some sort of mirage. This definitely wasn't how I thought to be spending my Tuesday afternoon.

I kept finding myself staring at my phone - taking it everywhere with me - waiting for a response. Of course being accepted meant a lot of paperwork and legal actions would need to be taken - which is reasonable with regard to his status - but still somehow I felt myself being up for the task... The money was a no brainer, there was sure going to be a hefty amount of it , but with regard to possibly carrier the royal heir , well that's a privilege within itself. How many people can say that?

Putting the last of my dishes away , I see my phone light up before sprinting towards it.

"Hello ?"

"Avalon Lincoln?" The lady on the other end asked while I took a deep breath .

"Speaking." I held my breath as she spoke. Nothing making sense or mattering more than what lied at the end of her sentence.

"You were accepted. Please be ready for your court meeting tommorow at 8am and move in promtly at 10. Congratulations Miss Lincoln. " she said while I was practically bouncing with excitement.

"Thank you so much. " I said with a bright smile - even though she couldn't see it - before hanging up.

It all happened so fast and entirely unexpected on my behalf. To think this morning I didn't even dare to think I would go further than the interview but now , I might just be carrying the next heir of the royal kingdom. Who would've thought someone like me would have such luck ?

****
I would be lying if I didn't say the whole atmosphere of a court unsettled me. It made me somewhat more nervous knowing I'd be legally bound to something.  Luckily what made the experience more bearable was that the king wasn't present. Which is understandable because he had more important matters to tend to . Even though nerve wracking, my time at the court was short and quickly over. It wasn't long before it was 10 and I was escorted to the royal castle.

The whole drive there , I couldn't seem to keep my mouth closed. Everything around me seemed so beautiful and new. I've never seen such a thing. I felt a bit out of place walking into the palace lined with servants. Everything appeared to be on a larger scale here , looking clean and expensive.  I was in awe the whole time up until the very moment he graced me with his presence once again.

"Avalon hi , welcome to your new home for the next 9 months." He said taking my bag and handing it to one of the servants.

"Thank you , I'm happy to be here." I said with a smile which he returned. 

"I take you were explained all of the terms and conditions?" He asked guiding me to a table lined with all sorts of food and drinks.

"Concerning keeping your identity a secret and having no contact with the child whatsoever once they're born? Yes , they did. " I said kindly while he pushed my chair in for me.

"That's great. It's for everyone's safety and well being, it's nothing personally directed  towards you ." He clarified pouring me a glass of juice .

"Of course. I understand the importance of the situation and the responsibility it entails. "

"Glad to hear it." He said with a warm smile sitting back in his chair.

"And besides , I don't think I'll be a very good mother anyway so handing the child over to you wouldn't be a problem."

"That's good to know." He said swiftly before we fell into silence. He watched me with intent and interest while I didn't know what it was that I was supposed to do or say next. 

"You must be tired after all the meetings and gatherings , I will let you rest. Tommorow is a big day . I will have someone escort you up to your room." He said standing up - buttoning his suit jacket - before motioning someone over.

"Of course. Thank you for the opportunity king Rysand. " I replied politely getting up from my chair.

"Trust me , the gratitude is mutual." Was his final words before I was escorted up a flight of stairs towards my new room for the next 9 months. This was definitely something I'd have to get used to now. I couldn't dare make a mistake resulting in me leaving prematurely. I had to remind myself why I was here and the purpose there of. Though one thing was for sure ; nothing and no one was going to stand in my way of completing my obligation towards the king and his people.

That's it my beauts ! Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time keep howling my wolves ❤🐺