six

My mind couldn't function when I saw Dalton. The amount of times he said the word 'sorry' was bothering me.

I was now home. Since I had two days off, I decided to relax during the day.

I started reading, which was a surprise because during my days off, I'm just running rounds.

"Let's just watch a movie". I turned on the TV and started to watch 'criminal minds'. It was one of my favorites- Wait no, I don't have favorites.

Hours passed and I decided to order some food. I had some leftover pizza but I could eat that later.

Two minutes later and the food arrived. I opened the door and said 'Hello'. I then gave the man a tip and told him, have a nice day.

"Okay let's eat". I began eating my food when a funny part of criminal minds was coming on but then I heard the door ring.

"Are you kidding me?" I groaned dusting my hands off and I got up to answer it.

When I opened it, I slammed the door in the persons face and continued eating.

"There is no way, he's standing outside my apartment. Why is Dalton standing- why is he even here?" I questioned myself but then I heard him speak on the other side of the door.

"Open the door Iris, I wanna talk" He said knocking repeatedly on the door. I wanted him to leave and never come back.

It was a good three years without him.

"Go away!" I yelled getting up going to watch my hands in the kitchen.

I could've sworn he was breaking in when he opened to door with a bobby pin. I crossed my arms waiting for him to get out my apartment.

"Can you leave! You're breaking in my apartment, I didn't invite you in Dalton" I was mad now and he was just staring and smiling.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked wanted to kick him out.

He shrugged.

"Look I wanna talk and before you ask how I know where you live was because I called your parents" He then plopped himself on my couch and un-paused the TV.

"Wha- Dalton leave, I don't want to speak to you. Why can't you get that through your thick skull"

He sighed and got up. "Iris, I know you can't forgive me because I need you to forgive me because you're hurting me". He said.

I blinked at him trying to process what he said. What does he mean by he needs me to forgive him.

"You take my happiness for granted Dalton, but you're the only one who listens". I told him the exact words the day on the park. He felt uncomfortable and he felt guilt.

"You take my happiness for granted but I don't say anything" I felt my eyes start to tear up but I blinked them away.

-
-
-
-

Dalton didn't show up to my apartment. But he would leave hints and notes at my door when I came home from work.

I wanted to yell, scream or do anything to make him feel the pain I was feeling.

But at the end of the day, I would feel guilty for the person who hated me more than my own parents.

I went downstairs to see Larry my landlord.

I sighed. "Hey Larry" I smiled cheaply tapping on his desk.

He smiled when he saw me. "Hey Iris, you okay?" He asked sounding worried.

I shrugged. "Yeah, Is there any chance that a guy came here bringing like a package... or a note?" I asked titling my head.

He laughed. "Of course, he's seems nice and his name his Dalton, he told me to give you to this" He took a box from the back and gave it to me.

"What is it?" I asked looking at the box.

"You'll see when you open it" He smiled patting  shoulder and I went upstairs to the open the box.

I didn't open it right away. I stood there with a knife in my hand to cut open the tape. I began getting anxious by the minute.

"What the hell" I opened it anyways. The box was finally open and I took a deep breathe.

When I looked inside it was full of photos, candles and even:

"Our yearbook" I picked it up slowly admiring the front cover.

When Me and Dalton were in high school, we shared a yearbook and made out multiple pictures of us and pretty notes and even reminders.

Then I put it to the side and looked to see a blanket and a hoodie. It was his. But there was a note.

"I know we're not friends but take this hoodie and blanket, and I want you to take if you're ever feeling alone. I know you can't forgive me, and that's okay" I read the note out loud and blinked a few tears.

I wanted to scream or do something. This weight on my chest wasn't helping. I wanted to hug him and tell him, I forgive for the pain he put me through.

I put everything back in the box, including his blanket and hoodie, then I put the box to the side.

"He's hurting me by coming back"