3 | benched

It was Sunday

It was Sunday. Training day, one out of six in the week to be exact - although Sunday's were my favorite. I was able to get in a peaceful full body workout since I didn't have any other obligations other than finishing up any classwork I might have due the following week - also, I didn't have to do it on the team's schedule.

That left the day to me in totality, and I was taking advantage of it after a long week.

"Arghh, shit." I placed the barbell back on the rack, managing my breath as I tried to catch the cramp in my arm before it shot any further.
Curiosity mixed with worry washed over Nolan's face, "You aiight bro? I ain't neva seen you fold wit that lil bit of weight."

He was right. I could bench double my body weight, but after that hit on Friday - I was lucky if I could pick up a ten pound and not feel the strain.

"It's cool...I'm cool." I shook it off. But knowing Nolan, he wouldn't let me off that easy. He would watch me for a few more seconds, taking stock of any emotions I carried in my face before interjecting his opinion. So I kept my expression neutral as I prepared myself for the next set.

Just as predicted, Nolan began to circle in on my space, "Come on, I'll spot you."

"Nah, I'm good." I insisted.

"Nigga, stop being stubborn and let me help."

"I don't need help."

"Your form say's so...aiight let's get to it...one, two ...thre--"

"Shit."

Three. Maybe two and a half. That was all I could push out without getting winded and feeling tenseness in my arm and back. With our next game only a week away and the bowl right after that, now wasn't the time to succumb to the pain of a petty hit. I was sure that Nolan, at this point couldn't wait to spew the words I told you so but instead of doing so, he stepped back, helped me return the barbell to it's home, and then went back to his own workout.

"That's it, you ain't gon' bug me about staying in the game on Friday?" I asked, brow raised, "...and possibly making it worse?"

He shrugged. I took a swig of my water.

"I've known you since freshman year Mic" Nolan began, increasing his running speed, "And in that time I've learned that nobody can tell you shit. I could tell yo ass the grass is green and you'd challenge me on it." his breathing picked up, along with beads of sweat accumulating on his forehead, "It was your decision to stay in the game, and yeah, you brought it home...now you just gotta tell coach you might have to sit out the next one."

I flagged my bestfriend. Me? Sit out? Those two words didn't go in the same sentence. Yeah...I had sat out in the past, and each time it felt like I was on punishment and being deprived of the game that I wholeheartedly loved - even though most times, it was just to reserve my health after something like friday night happened.