5 | home bound

I was feeling better

I was feeling better. Not a hundred-percent, but good enough to make it through my workouts without giving any indication that I still had slight pain. Once coach benched me, I took it personal to chill out up until a day before our last season game so I could get both my body and mind right. It was now game day.

I woke up - cracked two eggs in a pan and scrambled them, dusted some salt and pepper on top along with some cheedar cheese shreds. Grabbed my english muffins, spreading them with vegetable spread and strawberry jelly, and topping them off with the hot eggs. I pulled up a seat at the dining room table, and as soon as I went to take a bite, my phone began to ring.

"Who the hell is calling me this early?" I mumbled to myself.

For team practice I had to be up by five thirty, making breakfast by five-forty five, and out by six to be on time - so I was definitely curious about the call.

"Hello?"

"Micah, this is your mother. Do not hang up on me."

I suddenly lost my appetite, as I replied, "Goodbye, Yolanda."

"Yolanda, really? I guess I deserve that." she sighed heavily.

"You deserve much worst than that." I snickered, but for some reason still hadn't hung up.

"Micah, listen...Eedy died...a few months ago. I'm leaving Lousiana and going back to Philly. I know that you and your sister won't talk to me, but Jay says I can stay with him and his kids for a while."

"Well then good for you and Jay. I gotta go." I didn't comment on Eedy, also known as my Father's death. Yeah, when I was younger I looked up to him, or should I say who I pretended that he was. I was a kid, but I wasn't blind, deaf, or delayed - so the fact that I had drug addicts as parents were clear as day. I just...pinkclouded I guess.

Him being dead didn't surprise me - in fact, my parents were already dead to me, so it didn't matter if it was literal or not. Jay, was my older brother and my mother's first child. I didn't see him much, so I felt nothing about his involvement in her life.

"I heard you're graduating college this year," she cut me off, her voice light as if she was smiling, "I'm so proud of you, booger." I didn't respond.

I found myself quiet, still, staring at the luke-warm eggs on my plate. She let out a short laugh. "I also heard you play football, chile, I can believe it. You were always the fastest on the block...I remember we used to live over there on Rodney Street...and you would bet all the other little boys five dollars that you could beat them to the corner. A damn mess, but I was just as proud."

I offered a chuckle, only for it to quickly cease.

"Look, I gotta go to practice. I can't....I can't do this right now."

"So does that mean you'll get around to it?"

"No, Yolanda, it doesn't. You don't get to just pop up in my life after you did what you did, and go down memory lane and think shit is good. Listen to me. I have nothing to say to you, and as for Eedy - I'm glad he's dead. Fuck that nigga."