8 | not my man

The guest house was stunning

The guest house was stunning. Adjacent from the three story, eight bedroom mansion, it was a smaller clone that sat on the opposite side of the large oval pool and rose garden. Marley had done an excellent job decorating the house as well as the landscaping - Jalisa being right when she said it was much better than being at my mother's.

The first level, ample and homey, possessed a living room arrayed with warm hues of creams, chocolates and corals; No exaggeration, it looked like it was smack out of a magazine spread. My favorite part was the deep plush couch and massive platform TV - an upgrade from my dusty paisley love seat and 40' box.

A narrow hallway, inserted right before the fully stocked open layout kitchen, led into the second bathroom and laundry room which was a new one for me, seeing as though all my life I had been making biweekly trips to my neighborhood laundrymat. The second level held two guest bedrooms, one of which was mine sitting on the opposite side of Jalisa's, along with a second bathroom that we shared.

So far, we had gotten along just fine - but it had also only been three days and well, it was hard to have an attitude when surrounded by luxury. I was actually starting to look forward to my time there - even managing to avoid seeing Micah too much on a daily basis.

In between what I assumed was him always sleeping and hanging out with Ron, we only ever crossed paths whenever I decided to go into the main house to hang with Marley and Jalisa. And while he hadn't been the jerk I imagined he would be, I still steered clear of him.

Unfortunately for that night in particular, I had been exiting the side of the guest house when I spotted him lifting himself out of the heated pool, his forearms and biceps flexing - or more like showing off - as droplets of water fell all around him.

Again, why was he so fine? and how the hell did all of that come about once things with us were done for?

Either way, I was minding my Black business when he asked, "And where do you think you're going this time of night?"

I turned on my heel, my hand attached to my hip, "Excuse me?"

He chuckled while running a towel over his face, "Damn girl, we ain't that old yet. Where-are-you-going-this-"

"I heard what you said, Micah," I rolled my eyes at his attempt to slow down his sentence, "I meant who do you think you're talking to?"

"Last time I checked, it was you that just walked out of that guest house."

"And last time I checked, you weren't my man." "

Oh we both know that," he snickered, and despite his annoying behavior I didn't seem to mind him moving closer to me, his penny-brown skin illuminating in the outside night lights, "I for damn sure ain't callin you La-La, or allowing you to go out alone looking like..."

"Like what? Fine?" I challenged him.

Micah snickered, but the smirk still painted on his face told me that my assumption was correct - not that I needed that confirmation.