19 | when you know, you know

I felt

I felt...complete. On a day that almost ruined me the year before, a year later - I was in a whole different space. While I still missed my mother on a daily, things had come to a full one-eighty in multiple aspects of my life.

I was no longer stressed, constantly wracking my brain on the next step of life when I should've been basking in the whole experience of young adulthood, but instead had to grieve the woman who was supposed to be preparing me for it. I was certain that she would've wanted more out of me, always pressing me with provisions for my future, one I hadn't quite figured out yet at the time.

I was happy that I had gotten the chance to tell her about SLAM, which was finally now back on schedule due to me producing the extra money for Mr. Maloney - money I now had thanks to Micah. I also had him to thank for the smile I had been wearing all day, even though it also happened to be our last night together.

I won't lie - I felt completely different that morning, watching Micah get ready to go to his hair appointment and get sexy for all the campus hoes that didn't even know that I existed. I also found myself worrying about the one that would matter the most, Demani since I was certain the two would have to engage in conversation sooner or later.

Just the thought of it had my attitude to ready to reemerge, but at the end of the day, the only person who could ruin things was Micah. Or me...but I could handle me. I couldn't handle the idea of Micah living a whole different life miles away from me. Still, I told myself that I loved and most importantly trusted him, and had to do my part by staying strong for the next three months. That was the least I could do for all that he had done for us.

I was still completely stunned by the beautiful town-home that had checked off all the boxes in the imaginary list in my head. Micah had done the damn thing, which was why I had been running around ever since leaving my mother's gravesite - grabbing all types of essentials to make our night special. I was going to miss my man, dick included - so I had to get what I could get before he was gone.

I was just pulling into Wine and Spirits when I heard my Jalisa-specific ringtone, telling me that she had called to butt her nose in my business. I had purposely been avoiding her calls, but seeing as though she was long gone and back in Texas, I felt much more at ease when I answered, "Don't you got a man? Or do you think I'm him since you keep blowing up my phone?"

"My man is sleeping peacefully after I laid down that I'm home package" I could hear Jalisa's smirk, "And don't try to distract me with your insults. You know why I've been calling you."

"Do I really?" I rolled my eyes, stepping out of the car and locking it as I sauntered towards the store's front door.

"I bet you can take a guess, but since I don't feel like playing your back and forth games I'll just come out and say it - why in the hell would you accept Micah's offer to move in with him?"