4 | just fine

It was fine

It was fine. Everything would be fine. The mantra I created repeated over a plethora of times - back to back - as if my brain had a skip.

It was the following Monday of the Monday that the contractors were supposed to be getting started on SLAM, but somehow wires got crossed and Mr. Maloney admitted that he double booked, and since his other client paid in full - I would have to wait.

It had already been a week, and at this point those spiders had brought in their distant cousins. I wasn't the least bit surprised that my luck had gone this way. Who was I to expect such ease from the universe? Especially since the last few years had thrown me into a maze not even a science rat could find his way out.

I would take a step forward...and then two back...one forward..and then three back. It was a constant cycle I was growing tired of - but this time would be different.

SLAM would be ten steps forward, none back. I could feel it. So, that's why when I got the news that I would have to wait a few more weeks to start the work on the venue, I told Mr. Maloney everything was fine and that I would see him soon.

Yeah...when I stuck my foot up his ass.
What kind of unprofessional shit was that? That's what I really wanted to scream into the phone. You would've thought I was from New York the way I wanted to ask him, Are you dumb? But instead, I put aside the griping and told myself to be patient.
Great things took time.

So here I was, laying across my bed, pen in hand as I scribbled down a few lines that I didn't want to lose. The morning sun was creeping in, creating a luminessence in my otherwise gloomy room.

"Last night...was amazing."

Emory rolled over and kissed my shoulder, and I fought the urge to brush him off. This was...nice.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." My eyes lowered sultrily, as I admittedly became overheated by the soft bites he creased into my skin, his large hands running down the valley of my back, ending at my exposed cheeks and squeezing them firmly. He knew how to touch me, that was for sure.

"I did more than enjoy myself. That's why...I want you to be my woman. Officially. You know how I feel about...this." he gestured between us.

I sat up, releasing my messy hair from it's ponytail, "Em, you know that I don't do relationships. Why can't we just be like, ya know, this?"

"What is this La-La?" Cringe.

"Friends...who enjoy eachother's company?" I said, it sounding more like a question than a firm statement.

Even I didn't believe it. Mainly because I didn't see him as a friend, just someone to help endure the loneliness that was becoming too loud in my every day life. And yeah, that wasn't fair to him - to allow him to unpack his feelings, when mine had no plans on showing up.