12 | happy birthday marley

"Damn Mic, what they be feedin yo ass down in Georgia? This nigga almost as big as me!" Big Muh's voice was the loudest in the room, bass from his laughter echoing as he pulled me into a smothering hug, "Check out my nephew!" his hand, damn-near t...

"Damn Mic, what they be feedin yo ass down in Georgia? This nigga almost as big as me!" Big Muh's voice was the loudest in the room, bass from his laughter echoing as he pulled me into a smothering hug, "Check out my nephew!" his hand, damn-near twice the size of mine, slapped my chest proudly.

I played off the need to rub the slight pain away, "Yeah Unc, I was bulking up for the season. You see how that went."

I was still salty about my premature departure from the field and game that I had grown to love, but just like my breakup from Demani I had delegated it to the past and decided that it must've been a part of a bigger picture. I wouldn't lie and say that I hadn't experienced a tinge of hurt from either situation, I was just choosing to push past it - something I was proficient in.

Nico, who couldn't wait to comment, draped his arm over his dad's shoulder, "I told him to get back in the ring. Yeah, you aiight at football...but your home is in the ring." He was confident about that.

And while it could've been because boxing was his life - Nico Graham being a household name that represented one of the greatest Heavy Weight Champs to date - I knew that he had always supported me and told me I had potential to be big.

Big Muh agreed immediately, as well as the other men in the family, including Ron who added, "Definitely a beast...coudn't whoop my ass but he's nice."

"Want to put money on it?" I challenged, gaining a few oohs in the small group as Ron flagged me.

It was Saturday night, Marley's birthday bash had finally arrived where we all came together to celebrate her thirty third year around the sun. Sitting on top of the city, the rooftop venue had been decorated in a black and chocolate theme that emunated luxury, even I had to admit the planner did her thing when I was sure Marley's over-the-top ass gave her a million and one instructions. Not only had she delivered, she had gone above and beyond to make sure my big sister's event would be on the lips of her guests for years and I personally loved that for her.

I could still remember when I was a youngin, holding my breath as I waited for Yolanda to put some groceries in the frig - but instead, her money from the state had gone right into her nose or veins, hell, whichever way she could get it.

With four kids, you would think her priorities would've been our whereabouts, our grades, who we had running in and out of her house all times of the day, if we ate - but that was never her. Never had been as far as I knew. Marley had other stories...but I knew nothing of that Yolanda.

Anyway, there wasn't a night that Marley didn't come home - purse full of cash that she had scored from a few of the street dudes around the way. I was young - I wasn't stupid. Either way, I didn't care. All I knew was that my stomach was full and I could get a night's rest. I never had to worry when Marley was around, even today as a man, so I was always happy to see my big sister happy.