Chapter 4

Elizabeth

Next morning a light knock at the door woke me up: I slept on the first floor, trying to get used to a new house and groaning night wind. It was not easy. Surely, I don't believe in goasts and spirits but I was scared.

It turned out, my neighbor saw my driving the taxi a couple of days ago. And she needed time to get her strength to meet me.

«What made you go to England?» She asked after a brief acquaintance and my invitation for a cup of tea.

«I try to find myself and fall in love with life again,» I answered using a colorful sentence that my future friend assumed as if it were something abstract, but I didn't even exaggerate. «And what about you, Loren? Do you always live here?»

«I was born not far from here. My grandmother had lived in this house before. We were close, and we wanted to sell the house after her death because of our shortage of money. But I didn't want to forget about my loving relative. Besides, I lived here every summer when I was a schoolgirl. That was why, it was easy for me to decide to move to this part of the city.»

We talked sincerely till noon. I had already felt cheerful after a short sleep, though I looked terrible: my clumsily tied hair and a rest gown over the pajamas – the neighbor literally torn me from my sweet dream without visions.

But she wasn't confused about my appearance – a girl herself was wearing a morning dress, and she didn't feel awkward. In spite of the fact that Loren was older than me for 8 years, we had topics for conversation – beginning with personal feelings and ending with discussion of books.

Having talked a little, I found out that Loren's grandmother brought her up that made her different from her peers. She wasn't focused on mainstream things (I'm not talking about clothes). In her youth she didn't have many friends. That was why she was always lonely. Unfortunately, at the present moment nothing changed a lot. Loren wanted to be a gymnast. But she had to give up her dream because of the trauma in her childhood. And a girl became a designer. Now she was planting roses and selling them – what else she could do for her beautiful garden near the house. It was scented wonderfully and was created to awaken smiles in the people passing by.

In turn, I told Loren about some events from my childhood and youth. I didn't like telling the story of my life in detail to a stranger. I trusted my new acquaintance, but I decided to wait a little for pouring my heart out. «Who knows if we continued our communication,» I asked myself, but on the other hand, I was sure that we would continue our acquaintance.