twenty * ˚ ✦

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Oh wow, a dream. Of unicorns?"

Thomas' face was nowhere to be seen in the office the next day

When asked about it, Lizzie Stark answered with a simple glare, "Dunno."

Irene had never felt more agitated by a secretary. She had never thrown a punch before, and she was not planning to if it weren't for the short-haired woman. Michael, who was watching the whole exchange, chuckled before interfering. "Irene, can you help me with these?"

Taking deep breaths of her own, Irene loosened her fingers before marching towards Michael's desk, "Hmm, what is it?"

The caramel haired boy sighed frustratedly, "Tommy had me recounting all the expenditures we've had for the last two years. I've only done one, can you help with the rest? Said he wanted to evaluate the company's spendings."

Irene does understand where Michael was coming from. The emphasis on revaluation did not go unnoticed by her. She knew what it's like to be overworked by the patriarch of the Shelby family; why not help those in need. Irene Grosvenor was feeling gracious today.

The heiress smiled widely as she took no less than five folders from Michael – who has been nothing but pleasant to Irene, "You're lucky I used to excel in calculus, Mikey."

The peripherals of Irene's eyes caught Izzie Stark rolling her eyes. And the heiress relinquished at the fact that she had irritated the secretary. Her French heels clanked as she walked back to her, well, Thomas', office. Sparing Lizzie Stark another sneer before closing the door behind her.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

Long after Michael and the employees had gone to the comforts of their warm and cosy homes, Irene was still immersed in her work. No wonder Michael was irked by the assignment; counting a year's worth of expenditures was terrible enough. Let alone two. Thomas Shelby was indeed something else.

The heiress was stretching her arms and legs when she heard the main entrance doors open and close. Long and fast strides were heard afterwards, the clanking of shoes accompanying it. Somehow, Irene knew that Thomas Shelby has entered the building. Her Thomas-sensor, bare with her here, has been in the works since those building doors opened.

Hence, she did not turn when the Thomas' office doors were banged open. "Ah, Mr Shelby."

It took a while before the patriarch answered, which made the heiress quite puzzled as she can clearly feel his eyes burn through the back of her dress, "You're here."

The heiress turned slowly before smiling mischievously, "Yeah, that's what working means."

Thomas blinked at the sarcasm, "Right."