nine* ˚ ✦

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"It's Abby Rockefeller if you must know."

Irene woke up feeling restless today. She got up from her silk pillows with her head pounding manically. Maybe because of the gin she drank with the girls last night and the night before, perhaps because of the recent news two days ago that led to her drinking a lot with the girls.

Either way, Irene woke up feeling unwell. She wished that she could stay in bed all day, having soup delivered to her straight away, curl up in the comfort of her silk sheets, waking up around lunch or dinner, but it turns out she couldn't. Much to her dismay, today was the first day of work for her.

The first day of her to do any type of work in all her lifetime, for that matter. And she felt like she would hate every minute of it. This is her first time working; working under a Shelby doesn't make it any better.

Well, it's not all bad. Irene gets to practice her legal mind again, after so long being promoted from her Papa's head of legal advisers to, well, a significant shareholder of the company. And of course, she gets to teach a young mind – the type of mind she loves most in this world, as they are pure and untouched- her violin skills. Yet, Irene still felt heavy for going into all of this.

She has no desire whatsoever to be involved with the notorious Mr Shelby, and now, not only she's involved with him, but she also has to make the Shelby company's next big moves.

"Outrageous!" Cousin Mary Windsor had cried after Irene told her about the whole ordeal during tea time. And all of them couldn't agree more. Work is very foreign in their tongues, and this was coming from respectable ladies taught several languages by their governesses and boarding schools. And it seems like Irene was the first to acquaint them with such a word truly.

And now, here she is, getting ready for her work. Something that she'll do daily from now on, other than hosting high tea, drinking champagne, and of course, throwing money around.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

Papa huffed yet another cloud of smoke, looking at his pocket watch, "Darlings, can you please check on your brother's whereabouts. This is atrocious! We've been waiting for an hour. You'll be late!"

"Alright, papa." Irene and Izzy rose from their seats, exiting the drawing-room. Today, Robert was supposed to take her, Izzy, and their Papa to the Shelby office in Birmingham for Irene's "Welcoming", it seemed like Papa will also talk more business with Mr Shelby. It's a bit much, accompanying one's daughter to her first day of work, but is there such a thing as too much when it comes to this blue blood?

That was the plan for Robert to take them, as Birmingham's journey would take more than an hour from the private lands of Eaton Hall. But that brother of hers was nowhere to be seen, and it was very odd for him to be late. Irene and Izzy searched the whole ground floor, not finding a single strand of Robert's hair.

They even asked Tabitha, Imogen, and Ana, who were in the dining room having breakfast, the girls answered with a shake of their heads. Izzy had asked where Daphne was, and all three of them stated that Daphne was absent because she was feeling under the weather from last night's little soiree. Honestly, Irene would feel the same as Daphne if it wasn't for her bloody first day of work.

"Mrs Peele, oh, thank God you're here. Have you seen Robert?"

The woman with the wrinkly skin furrowed her eyebrows, "Sorry, my Lady. I have not seen your brother this morning; he's probably still asleep after having so much work with your father."