Thirty-one* ˚ ✦

"The one where the It Girl is back and all the other debutantes are jaundiced."

October 1929

October 1929

Irene had forgotten how long the ride was to retched Birmingham.

It wasn't until about halfway along the way the heiress's palms started to gather moisture, so wet she had to press her hands against her Chanel tweed skirt. Robert, who has been watching his sister intently ever since they embarked on this journey, flicked his fingers across the younger's forehead.

Irene grimaced, fingers flying to massage the area, "What. Was that for, Brute?"

The older glared at the nickname,"A million pennies for your thoughts?"

"I'd rather go bankrupt."

Robert's laugh rumbled the whole car, "You and I both know you won't last even a second,"

"I'm delighted to see this next chapter of our lives, sister. Me and Daphne, we're very content with our relationship. The wedding is bigger than life itself; the honeymoon is going to take place in Myk-"

"Stop talking before I fart and fill this car with the scent of sauerkraut," Irene grunted as she slid her gloves on with unnecessary force.

"So what is it, eh? We all saw you storm out that night all those years ago, which was unusual considering how much you loved alcohol and that soiree was flooding with an array of booze."

Irene sighed, "Dear brother, as much as I love our bonding sessions, I need you to shut up and let me finish my afternoon beauty nap,"

"You know I can't stand that wretched man, and the prospect of meeting him again has brought wrinkles to my undereye."

"I'm just curious, and you know I won't stop at anything-"

"Robert," Irene warned. Honestly, if only one of her confidantes were here, she wouldn't be stuck with her probing brother and his disgustingly large body for two hours. The heiress understood it was her job to deliver the news to Birmingham, one task she's been putting off since August. And now, well over two months later, she's finally doing it.

Robert held his hands up as a sign of peace, but Irene knew better. Not even ten seconds later, his trap opened, "Are you glad to be back, princess? Everyone, and I mean everyone, has been wondering when will the leader of our society's crème de la crème be back. Those tawdry Bright Young Things were jumping up and down when they heard you went away,"

"Once Nancy Mitford heard about your return, news spread like wildfire. Those Bright Young Shits essentially cowered from the spotlight. Making way for the Original Ones. They even named your return, like a chapter in a book."

Irene rolled her eyes, feeling somewhat both flattered and curious about what has been happening ever since her 'retirement'. Well, it wasn't much of retirement and more of a long-lasting holiday, and it's not like the heiress is entirely in the dark. The girls would catch her up on everything from time to time — the juiciest of news.