Of Elves And Staffs Part 3

Of Elves and Staffs Part III

...
Pitch Black chuckled to himself as he walked slowly away from the decrepit building. Honestly, if they didn't want to be scared, why did kids even bother with 'tests of courage'? Not that he particularly minded; he enjoyed it.

Without warning, a large portal appeared before him. Pitch took a large step back, his whole body anticipating fight or flight, but instead of a large oaf in a reindeer-pulled sleigh, all that appeared was a dull brown stick, which clattered loudly as it fell to his feet.

"Well, well, well," Pitch smirked, stooping to pick up the staff. "What have we here?"

He ran the staff over in his hands, noting that there was no evidence of its earlier breakage. How had he done it? Wasn't the staff the source of his powers? Then why had he been able to repair it, to come back, to play a significant role in his downfall?

Pitch knew he now had leverage over Jack Frost… but how to use it…

Pitch stepped back, allowing the shadows to consume him. In a matter of seconds, he had reappeared behind one of the Guardians; but not the one he was searching for.

Suppressing a sigh, he called, "Tell me, Toothianna, where's Jack?"

The Tooth Fairy spun around so fast, for a moment Pitch thought her neck might just snap. No such luck. The small fairy by her side quickly moved behind her.

"Pitch!" Tooth practically snarled. "What are you doing here?!"

"Well, I was hoping you would answer my question," he replied, rolling his eyes and waving the staff in front of him for emphasis.

Tooth's eyes widened at the sight of the stick, her gaze flickering constantly between it and the Boogieman. "Where did you get that?"

"Oh this?" Pitch looked down at his new prop with mild interest, as if he hadn't noticed he had it. "It was the funniest thing; it just landed in front of me. I don't suppose you'd believe me if I said I only wanted to give it back…"

If the glare was anything to go by, no she didn't. "Well then," she said, her tone obviously forced, "Give it to me and I'll make sure Jack gets it." Tooth held out her hand.

"Oh no, no, no," Pitch tutted. "I'd really rather give it to him in person. Where can I find him?"

"I don't know. And even if I did I wouldn't tell you."

"Shame," Pitch smirked, disappearing once more into the shadows.

...

...

Jack staggered back as something green zipped about in his face.

"Whoa, whoa!" he gasped, putting up his hands in a placating manner.

The green blur slowed, revealing itself to be Baby Tooth, who was squeaking and gesturing frantically.

"Baby Tooth? What are you doing here?" Jack frowned, unable to understand what the anxious fairy was trying to tell him. "Slow down! I can't–" he cut himself off as he caught sight of the rainbow coloured lights stretching across the sky.