Gold At The end Of the Rainbow

Gold at the end of the Rainbow

...
"Will ye stop?!"

Jack halted midflight and scanned the area for the painfully familiar voice.

"No, I won't stop! This is my job! It's not my fault you leave your money lying around!"

Oooh, Jack almost laughed, spotting the two arguing down in a clearing below. This was an old argument. Very slowly, as to avoid detection, the winter spirit descended, landing on the edge of the tree line.

"Well, if ye didn't leave a beacon guiding them right to it–"

"Are you two at it again?"

They both startled, swinging around to face him, one with a look of irritation and the other exasperation.

"You stay outta this, Frost," the Leprechaun warned, shaking his finger accusingly.

"Jack, what are you doing here?" Rain sighed, the fight seeming to drain from her.

"I heard you two arguing and figured I may as well try to interrupt before it gets out of hand," Jack explained, leaning against his staff. "Wouldn't want a repeat of last time, would we?"

Rain shuddered.

"So what's it about this time? You still irritated about the rainbows, Pat?"

"That's Patrick to you, Frost! And it's none of ye business!"

"He's mad at me cause my rainbows apparently lead everyone to his gold stashes," Rain rolled her eyes.

"…You do realise that it's impossible to reach the end of a rainbow, right? Nobody is going to find your gold, Patrick."

The Leprechaun growled, looking very much like he was about to attack someone. "Impossible, ye say? Well that's where you're wrong. Leprechaun gold has been stolen before!"

"Then just move your pots so they're not sitting out in the open," Jack suggested. "Why would you even want to hide them in plain sight anyway?"

"That's a good point," Rain raised a brow, almost unbelievingly. "I'll even help you hide them if you want; honestly there's no reason to fight about this."

"Bah! And let you go off and tell everybody? Never!" Patrick turned, stalking off into the trees. "I'll rehide it meself!"

Jack and Rain stood in silence as he went, faces blank. When the little man had gone out of earshot, they couldn't keep it in anymore, exploding into a fit of laughter.

"That guy, honestly," Jack said, composing himself. "Any excuse for an argument, huh?"

"I'll say. It's all about conspiracy theories with him. Thanks, Jack. I really didn't want a repeat of last time. Anything where Mother gets involved is not going to end well," Rain shook her head. "Anyway, I'd better get back to work. I'm sure you have stuff to do, too."

They exchanged a nod, before Rain took off, heading for areas of rainfall. Jack remained in place a while longer. Rain, at least, had always been civil; maybe because her being a spring and summer spirit meant they didn't get to see each other often. Shaking himself from his musings, Jack allowed the wind to lift him up off the ground, continuing on his way to North's workshop.