A Night Of Stualness

A Night of Stualness

...

"Ah, Guardians, welcome."

Jack stared at the old man standing on the threshold, holding the door open for them, in confusion. He had a sash with the current year printed on it slung over his shoulder and a top hat sat perched upon his grey hair. But that wasn't what baffled the winter spirit. Wasn't Baby New Year supposed to be… well, a baby? He thought it might be a touch rude to ask, so kept his mouth shut as he followed the others inside.

It was actually his first time being invited to the holiday icon's annual party, and he had a feeling he'd only been invited this time because of his new status as a Guardian. Nevertheless, their host seemed like a nice enough guy. That didn't stop him from asking Bunny about the baby thing once he'd gone off to greet other guests, though.

"Alphaios is only a baby at the start of the year," Bunny explained. "He then grows old til New Year's when he becomes a baby again."

"Oh. Sucks to be him."

Bunny shrugged in a 'what can you do' kind of way.

"Oh, Jack, how lovely to see you!"

Winter spirit and Pooka turned as Mother Nature sauntered over, a beaming smile on her beautiful face.

"Mother Nature," Bunny nodded respectfully.

"And hello to you, Aster," she returned the greeting.

"Hey, Mother," Jack tried not to laugh at the semi-horrified look Bunny was subtly giving him.

"You really are a teenager, aren't you," Mother scowled, fussing with his hair and hoodie. North had wanted him to wear a suit but Jack had flat out refused. Tooth had made him brush his hair, at least, but a ride on the sleigh did wonders to fix that.

Jack just grinned easily, pulling away before she decided his attire needed correcting. Manny knew what would happen if she wanted him in more formal wear. "Are the others here?"

"Yes, they arrived shortly after me. I believe they're over by the snack table."

"…Lleu's not wearing anything… inflated, is she?"

A bemused expression flittered across her face. "No?"

"Phew!" Jack laughed. "I'll catch you later, Mother, Bunny!"

Mother Nature waved pleasantly but Bunny still looked gobsmacked and horrified at the casual way he'd been talking to her. If she'd been in a bad mood she would have been the first on the floor bowing at her feet, but when she was enjoying herself like this it was more than safe to treat her like one would their own mother. He was pretty sure she liked it, too.

...

...

"Enjoying that?" Jack smirked as he nearly walked into Sandy, who was drinking from two different wine glasses simultaneously.

Sandy nodded enthusiastically and gulped down the last remnants of the wine before placing them on the tray of a wandering waiter and grabbing two more, one of which he held out to Jack.